Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Internal Hard Drive not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ivan1536

ivan1536

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

I have an HP Pavilion dv2000 (Service Tag: dv2310us) laptop that had a failing hard drive. When i started the computer it displayed the boot screen but soon after a black screen appeared with the flashing words "Operating System Not Found". The hard drive had started making very loud clicking noises and soon after the computer crashed. I determined that the hard drive was dead for it wasn't even detected by the BIOS in the boot menu(F2) or the Diagnostics program provided by Hitachi. I bought a new hard drive from ebay. Here is the link. Now im afraid that i bought the wrong hard drive or perhaps i need to buy some type of adapter. Btw the hard drive i recieved was a Western Digital Scorpio blue and the old hard drive is a hitachi. The main problem now is that the hard drive is not detected when i try to install Vista. Im still not sure if i need drivers of some sort. Although on the Western Digital website it states that the hard drive i own doesn't need any additional drivers and that all are within the OS. Oone more thing, when the old hard drive was in use whenever i tried to reinstall the OS it would load all the windows files but when the windows green moving bar (The one that is displayed when windows is loading) was loading it crashed and produced a blue screen with the message "Irql_not_less_or_equal" can't remember if thats the correct one. Now with this new hard drive it loads the windows installation OS without a problem but no hard drive is detected. Please help!! I have no idea what the problem is now. Is it perhaps not the correct hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

I guess the first question would be is the refurbished "Western Digital Scorpio blue" hard drive recognized in Bios? If not, the OS can't install. If it isn't recognized, do you have another computer to test it in?

Not sure what the your "windows installation OS" disk is. Did it come with the computer or did you create it when the system was new? It may just contain an "image" file of everything that was on the computer when purchased. In that case, as long as the new disk is the same size or larger than the old one, it should install.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

One quick question.

When you took out the old drive did you transfer the adapter from it to the replacement drive?

This is a link to what it should look like:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.laptopking.com/adapter/111509.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.laptoprepairparts.com/html/details.asp%3Fref%3D807%26category%3Dadapter&usg=__oV6zAw2Hf0Fke1y86WtT_wbwSR0=&h=365&w=557&sz=66&hl=en&start=1&zoom=1&tbnid=k1u-1LnNJ2CyIM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=133&ei=eBFNT5eBHoTx0gGzpsDUAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddv2000%2Bhard%2Bdrive%2Badapter%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

No adapter no drive detected.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 ivan1536

ivan1536
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Artrooks : BIOS does not detect the Western Digital Scorpio Blue Drive. The windows OS disk is a vista premium disk that i got of torrents. I didn't have the disk and i didn't feel like paying $30 for a new one. The disk is just a Microsoft windows disk, not an HP one.

rotor123: I think you be on to something. For that adapter is still attached to the old broken hard drive. How may i go about in uninstalling it from that drive and installing into the new one? I have an idea but i don't want to break anything.

#5 ivan1536

ivan1536
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Artrooks: Also, i do not have an other computer to test the drive with, but it should be working. If rotor's solution doesn't seem to work pout ill test it out on a relatives laptop.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

For that adapter is still attached to the old broken hard drive. How may i go about in uninstalling it from that drive and installing into the new one? I have an idea but i don't want to break anything.

NO Adapter = No drive as far as the computer is concerned. That adapter connects the power and data from the drive to the laptop.

It just pulls off. Lay the drive flat on the table label side up. You want to come in from the sides. I generally use two small screwdrivers on each side and gently, gently pry it off. It just pushes onto the SATA power and data connectors on the drive. Make sure you line them up right they are different sizes. They are designed to be removed and reused.

If you break it that link I posted will show you what you need to buy.

Edited by rotor123, 28 February 2012 - 04:39 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 ivan1536

ivan1536
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thank you so much rotor! I attached the adapter already and it worked!! :D :D Thank you so much!! Gratzi! :D

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

Glad to hear all is well.

Cheers
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users