Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Crash

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

(edit; sorry can someone move this to the network section)

Hi all.

This has been going on for quite some time, here is what is happening.

I live in a flat with 6 other people. We all use the internet, and it runs fine. About mid way through last year, the network would drop every couple of days, sometimes multiple times in the same day. I talked to the isp, went through 3 different modems, two of them brand new, different brands even, same issue.

When I say the network drops, I mean everyone will no longer be connected to any network, even those connected with an ethernet (myself) to the modem. The modem is fine, the lights are still on, the internet is still connected (dsl light solid, isp confirms during these drops the internet is still connected), however no body can access the internet, network computers, or even the modem itself (using 192.168.1.1).

At the end of last year, only three of us were left to look after the flat. We bought a new modem (linksys WAG120N) and everything ran fine. We've had solid internet all summer. Three days ago the rest of the flat mates returned. Literally minutes after they were back in the house, the networked crashed. Since then, it has crashed twice. Same thing as last year.

I'm wondering if perhaps one of them has a portable device, say an android phone, that keeps killing the network somehow. Is this heard of? One also has a Playstation 3 which runs on the wireless, however that was not even plugged in when the networked crashed the other day.

Are there any settings I need to enable on the network? Or perhaps does one of their computers have a virus of some sorts which can somehow crash the entire network for everyone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this one has really got me stumped.

Thanks.

Edited by Budapest, 27 February 2012 - 11:20 PM.
Moved from Win7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

I am researching the data transfer capabilities of that router but I am most certain you are having Packet Collision issues with 6 people on the network all using Torrent software that uses the same ports. First check your ISP and see if they are shaping your traffic. It could be that they detect a spike in traffic on Torrent ports and are killing your connection to the internet, this would only cause you not to be able to transmit or receive over the internet you should still be able to ping the router or anyone else connected to the router.This is as far as I can go with this topic.Torrent software is illegal file sharing and puts a strain on development and advancement of software. This topic will be locked by a moderator. If you have any more networking concerns please feel free to post another thread.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 05 March 2012 - 09:29 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

I am certain it is not torrent related.

An update. Since the posting of this thread, my flatmate has left his Andriod phone wi-fi disabled for 99% of the time. The network has been running flawless, no issues at all.

As a final note, I don't know how or why, but it seems it was his Android phone that was causing the network to crash.

/thread

Edited by sniperNZSAS, 05 March 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#4 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

I am researching the data transfer capabilities of that router but I am most certain you are having Packet Collision issues with 6 people on the network all using Torrent software that uses the same ports. First check your ISP and see if they are shaping your traffic. It could be that they detect a spike in traffic on Torrent ports and are killing your connection to the internet, this would only cause you not to be able to transmit or receive over the internet you should still be able to ping the router or anyone else connected to the router.This is as far as I can go with this topic.Torrent software is illegal file sharing and puts a strain on development and advancement of software. This topic will be locked by a moderator. If you have any more networking concerns please feel free to post another thread.

Torrent software is not illegal, it is what some people do with it can be illegal. I personally use it frequently to download distros as I can get almost 4.5 MB/s wheres direct downloads only net me less than 2 MB/s.

For the OP i would definitely recommend not using any torrent software for a week or so and see what happens. You should always close the application if you are not using it, especially in your situation. Maybe even setup an old computer or something as a server where you could download files and everyone could access them on the local network.
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users