Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

caller id for PC issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hi, I have tried various software of caller id for pc but none of them are showing the number on my pc. The all recognize the modem and drivers. I am using an external usb modem. I use vonage as my phone service so the phone line is coming in from the phone jack and is plugged into my vonage device and on the port that goes to the phone I have a splitter on it with one rj11 line going directly to my phone and another rj11 going to my PC.

What could be preventing the phone number from displaying on my PC?

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

Never worked for me either. But I'll be willing to bet it's a popup blocker, script blocker or any of a myriad collection of antivirus/malware tools actions. I gave up and just looked on the phone display.

Hope somebody else can prove me wrong or know how to resolve it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

I had it working OK until I reinstalled my OS so I know it is possible.

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

The only program of this type that I've had work right is PhoneTray. But I've never tried it with Vonage or an external USB modem. Maybe split the phone line at the phone jack so one line is going directly from the phone jack to the modem and one to the Vonage device?

#5 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

yES PHONE TRAY WAS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED FOE\R ME TOO, wILL TRY WHAT YOU SUGGESTED, tHZ fb.

#6 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

all is working now. thx

#7 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Never worked for me either. But I'll be willing to bet it's a popup blocker, script blocker or any of a myriad collection of antivirus/malware tools actions. I gave up and just looked on the phone display.

Hope somebody else can prove me wrong or know how to resolve it.

it helps when one plugs the correct rj11 line into phone splitter. lol

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

That wasn't the problem for me. I verified all connectors/cables and even went so far as to have them tested and certified. I even tagged them at each end with circuit ID's or phone numbers. Still couldn't get it to work.

Glad yours was a simple human implementation fix.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users