Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Request Assistance: Security Shield malware Windows XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 WinXP-SP3User

WinXP-SP3User

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

EDITED BY AUTHOR 2012-02-28

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST. THANKS TO YOUR INSTRUCTIONS AT http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-shield I WAS ABLE TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE MYSELF. THANKS FOR CONTINUING TO PROVIDE CLEAR, RELIABLE INFORMATION AND SOLUTIONS ON SPECIFIC MALWARE PROBLEMS!

Hello.

As stated in the topic title, I am humbly requesting assistance in removing "Security Shield" malware from my Dell Latitude D610 running Win XP SP 3.

I have attempted to download and run DDS and GMER. However, the malware is blocking both IE and Firefox. I have tried to download DDS and GMER on a separate computer and then copy the downloaded files, via flashdrive, to the desktop of the infected laptop, but neither DDS nor GMER will run. Consequently, I am unable to attach a dds.txt file, attach. txt file, etc.

I apologize for not having the latter files available to attach. Any advice on how to create these files would also be greatly appreciated. (Would it suffice to try to create the necessary file(s) in Safe Mode?)

Thank you in advance for any reply and assistance you can provide.

Edited by WinXP-SP3User, 28 February 2012 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinXP-SP3User

WinXP-SP3User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

EDITED BY AUTHOR 2012-02-28

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS TOPIC.

Hello,

I need to add that I now have been able to run DDS (perhaps by rebooting and then launching as soon as I have logged on -- ??before the malware can fully load??). HOWEVER, the "Security Shield" malware does not allow the text files created by the DDS utility to appear -- instead, in an initial instance it "blocked" Notepad with a warning message, and in all subsequent instances Notepad with the DDS-created .txt files will not stay on screen for longer than a split-second.

More specifically, after DDS finishes checking my system (in the black-and-white command prompt window), I do get the initial DDS popup saying that the files have been created and "shall appear after you have closed this window" (i.e., after clicking OK). But, as soon I click OK, a text file blinks on my screen for only a split-second and then disappears -- faster than I can possibly save it. I have tried multiple times to run DDS and obtain the dds.txt and attach.txt files, but every attempt has failed because of the problem with the text file(s) not staying onscreen for more than a fraction of a second.

I also now have been able to run GMER but am still waiting for that process to complete to determine whether it will produce a log that, unlike with DDS, I will actually be able to save. After the GMER process completes, I will post an additional message indicating whether I have been able to save the requisite ark.txt file. (Also, if I do have the ark.txt file, I will attach it to my next post.)

Edited by WinXP-SP3User, 28 February 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users