Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

H&R Block tax software

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rs1

rs1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hi everyone my name is Jay. The reason why I initially joined bleepingcomputer is the nasty System Check virus. I got hit last week and used instructions which I found on this site to partially eradicate the virus. But now I am finding I cannot use H and R Block's tax software- one that I've used for close to 2 decades. The problem is simply I cannot get past the registration screen. If I click Register later or never register, it does nothing. If I try to submit the registration (name, address, email) it acts like it is submitting info to the server but does not leave the page either. I called Block's tech support and they said they've never heard of the problem and told me to uninstall and reinstall, which I did to no avail. Does anyone have any idea of what the problem is and if it was in fact caused by System Check. I have installed the program on another pc and it appears to work fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Does that mean that you have no problem installing any other application/program...on this pesky system?

What version of the program are you attempting to install?

Louis

#3 rs1

rs1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

Actually I had installed this before the virus hit and it was working fine. It does not affect Excel, Word, etc. But it is affecting older versions of the Block software I have on this system with the same problem (2010, 2009).

#4 rs1

rs1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

This is the Deluxe version. I have installed other programs since then, mostly anti-malware freeware programs.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

If you have multiple versions of a given program installed...seems to me that the possibility of base corruption with any version of said program would be possible/likely.

I would uninstall all versions...then reinstall them one at a time, checking for appropriate functionality after each install.

Louis

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

You Said

I got hit last week and used instructions which I found on this site to partially eradicate the virus

I would very , very wary about using the computer for anything financial let alone Income Tax until I was completely sure it was Totally virus free.

Income Tax info has enough information in it to make Identity theft very easy.

I had someone tell me he thought he might have a Virus because he saw folders opening & Closing on their own.

Yup he did he also was a victim of ID theft because they had downloaded his Income tax return.

You might want to remove financial data until at least a all clear from from our malware cleaning subforums here.

Edited by rotor123, 29 February 2012 - 06:47 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 rs1

rs1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

Block sent me a link to download a new copy of the software. I deleted my version then downloaded the new copy. Registration screen is now gone but now it crashes when it starts up. Have tried it a couple of times and also rebooted as well.

#8 rs1

rs1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

I got this resolved. Turns out it was the folders saved under C:\Users\(user)\App Data\Roaming\TaxCut. Deleted those and uninstalled/reinstalled from the HR Block link. Customer service was quite good.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users