Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Speed Variation

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 janeygee

janeygee

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:27 AM

Hi,
hopefully I am in the correct place.
I will try to be brief and give what I hope is sufficient to give me some advice and help.
My PC is 9 years old, running XP Home, with 1.25gb RAM. 80GB hard drive. It works fine, and I am reasonably sure there is no malware on it.Connected via cable to internet and according to local test site I should have the capability of around 8Mbs connection speed.
I actually get around 0.9mbs download and 0.6 mbs UL , that is at best, and at times of high usage, speed will drop to 0.1 mbs.
My friend brought his laptop round and logged onto internet using my router, but with WiFi connection.
He used the same test site, 30 seconds after I used it, and his results were 8mbs DL and 3.5mbs UL.
Shock horror.

My questions is : Is the difference in speed due to the age of my PC or is it "set-up" wrongly and there are things I could do ( with guidance ) that would improve the speeds to rival my friends PC.

I will watch the responses avidly and reply quickly to any suggestions.

Thank You
What is morally wrong can never be politically correct

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users