Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 start up slow and gets stuck

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 enchantedmystery1974

enchantedmystery1974

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

Hello

I have window 7 premium home addition. In the last 5 days when i start up my computer. windows 7 gets all the way to signing in then it just stalls for 5 minutes, then it finally logs in. After that it freezes up programs and sometimes i have to keep rebooting until the system decides to run smooth an not get stuck.I have run iorbit maleware, windows defender(but that freezes up), advance system care 5, i run windows update, and my anti virus program is avast. I am at a loss because I do not know why this is happening and have no clue how to fix it. Thank you for any help you can give me. Have a great day.
:mellow: :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

1) I suggest you disable Windows Defender
2) Have you run a full system scan with AVAST?
3) Advanced System Care - is that a registry cleaner? If so, it is likely the cause of some of your problems.
4) If you are 100% certain your system is malware-free, do the following:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

Just before this began happening, did you install or use Advanced System Care to do anything? IMO there really are not any "good automatited" registry tools out there, most do more harm than good, again just my opinion. As for the Avast, it gives you the option to do a "boot-time" scan, you don't have to do commit to any actions, but you could at least write down what it finds and Google them to see what they are, prior to taking any actions. Also you could look into the Windows logs files to see if anything is showing up there while Windows is running, it would also show, I'm pretty certain anyway, if your hard drive is having issues. If something along the lines of your disc is mentioned and has a yellow triangle or red circle by it, then I would run a "disk check" to see what it can tell you.

#4 enchantedmystery1974

enchantedmystery1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thank you Allan and snglnluvit. I did like you said Allan and I found the issue: Microsoft Anitmaleware services. I uninstalled it and now all is good. Thank you again so much :) :)

#5 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

It could be hardware, but its very likely that you just have a trashed up install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users