Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dvd drive is missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bunbury5

bunbury5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

just got the computer back from the shop; hard drive failed and he replaced it from 250mb to 500mb. now my dvd drive is not recognized at all, nonexistant on the computer list, yet it still lights up when you push the button to open the door so it's connected. how do i convince the computer it's there? running windows vista, the hard drive was the only thing changed, all info from original transferred to this one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

It could be a very simple fix. Check and see if the cable that goes from the back of the drive to the motherboard is plugged in. If you are not comfortable opening the case, call the shop and have them check.

#3 bunbury5

bunbury5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

thanks i will check that. :)

#4 al57

al57

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

try going to control panel and look for device manger in the drop down box look for cd/dvd rom drive click on the horizontal triangle hightlight and right click in the drop down box select update driver you can choose to update
drivers from inside my computer or go online to get drivers next install drivers If that doesn't work do a windows
vista update you also can google windows vista cd/dvd drivers follow the on screen instructions If none of the above works go to the computer manufacturer driver download drivers from there. good luck and hope this was helpful

#5 bunbury5

bunbury5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

the device manager doesn't show a dvd drive at all, only the external hard drive and the new one just installed. that's why i am wondering where it went. was there before i got the new one installed, now it's gone :(

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

If you are convinced that the cables are securely fastened to both the DVD drive and the motherboard, you could try running this
Microsoft "Fix-it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 bunbury5

bunbury5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

thanks to all of you for your help. i did finally find it (i was fixing the cables on the new drive instead of the dvd one)and it's working again. thanks again, and i expect i will be here again another day. it could be said computers are not a special friend of mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users