Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Suddenly Slow

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mcdriver

mcdriver

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

I left my Win 7 machine at my studio connected to internet over night and it has slowed down significantly.

If I must leave it on for defrag, I usually make sure the internet connection is turned off, but I forgot'

My studio is in the same building with an isp and my connection is by way of wireless router. very fast connection.

This laptop is an Asus, Win 7 home pro, i7 quad core processor, 8gb ram and two 7200rpm hard drives.

It has been lightning fast until today.

I typically run Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom at the same time, switching back and forth.
Also firefox is usually running because I am uploading images to albums on facebook for clients to see as I develop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Is Windows running slow or is the internet connection slow?

How does the machine run in Safe Mode?

A hunch:

Click the start orb and type in device manager. When it shows up in the search results, double-click it.

Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section and double-click the first entry. In the Advanced tab, make sure the controller is running in a high-numbered DMA mode and not PIO mode.

If there is another entry in the controllers section, check it as well.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

is it slow after a reboot?

#4 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

I tried the device manager thing. I did not have an advanced tab to check the dma mode.

Have not tried safe mode, shooting all day.

That brings up a possibility;
When I am shooting, the laptop is on a roll about table and connected to nothing but it's power brick and a 15' USB cable to my camera. It was running nor,ally all afternoon while shooting.
When it's on my desk, I have it connected to 6 external hard drives by way of a powered USB Hub. That is typical, I know when I shut down it seems to wait for the ext drives to do what ever they do. Could extra drives cause it to be slow operating?

Although, I have had it hooked up this way for months and the drives just sit there until I move raw images to one and catalogs to another.

One is redundant backup bu way of making an extra copy when I import images into Lightroom.mthe others have different images from the last couple of years that I work with on a new portfolio for myself. That is sort of occasional, when I have time.

#5 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

Forgot to answer all.
The machine is slow, the Internet connection is fast.

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

Use Speccy to provide details of your computer's configuration.

• Download, install, and run.
  • After Speccy has finished gathering information, click File > Publish Snapshot.
  • Click Yes. A web address will be displayed.
  • Click Copy to Clipboard and paste it in your next post.
  • Include your computer's manufacturer and model number, if available.
=========================================

Use CrystalDiskInfo to provide an quick overview of your hard drives' health.

• Right-click on your desktop and click New > Folder
  • Download CrystalDiskInfo.
  • When setup asks for an installation location, click Browse and select your new desktop folder.
  • After setup completes, open the folder and run the program.
  • The program will list recognized drives along the top along with a colored icon. Blue represents good health, yellow means caution, red means failure is imminent.
  • Relate what you see there in your next post.
=================================================

Be sure to relate how the computer performs in Safe Mode.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Speccy url:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4zocNAnKn18qAmRXEdksHZI

#8 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

Drive C:-D: Good 33deg

Drive E:-F: Good 31 deg

C,D,E,F are internal drives

Drive M: Caution, 33: this is a small seagate free agent Go, 640 gb, No power supply of it's own. Connected via powered hub.
I clicked on Caution button,
[05] Reallocated sectors count
[C5] Current Pending Secor count
[C6} Uncorrectable Sector Count

Drive L: Good, 42 deg, This as a standup WD 310 Gb, has it's own power supply and connected via powered hub.

Drive J: Good 38 deg, This is a WD 1 Tb My Book, has own power supply connected via same hub.

Drive H: Caution 43 deg, This is a Seagate 1 Tb Free Agent, has own power supply, connected thru same hub.
Clicked on Caution Button,
[05] Reallocated sectors count
[C5] Current Pending Secor count
[C6} Uncorrectable Sector Count

Drive O: Good 39 deg, This is a Seagate 2 Tb Free Agent, has own power supply, connected thru same port.

This worries me, The two that I use most are showing caution.

Hope this is the info you need.

Is there a way to fix the two showing caution or should I replace Them?

Thank You

#9 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Three things:

:step1: There was another user recently who had just installed a Windows update and reported slowdowns and freezing of Windows. You installed three updates the night before your problems started. As it happens, a system restore resolved most of the other user's problem. Try using a restore point from before the problem started. Type system restore into the start menu and click it when it shows up in the search results.

:step2: You have AVG, Malwarebytes, Adaware, and Spybot all running at the same time. This is not recommended as real-time scanners can interfere with each other and cause other random problems. I suggest uninstalling all but AVG. Run the others as manual scanners every couple weeks (disable AVG before running them). Frankly, unless you paid for AVG, I'd say uninstall it as well and use a better, lighter program such as MSE.

:step3: Use SeaTools for Windows to perform diagnostics on your hard drives.

• Download the setup file. Run the file to install the program.
    Accept the default settings presented during installation.
  • On the desktop, double-click SeaTools for Windows.
  • Put a check in the box next to the drive(s) you wish to test.
  • From the Basic Tests menu, run the Short Generic. If it passes, run the Long Generic.
    Be patient as the Long Generic can take over an hour.
    • If SeaTools offers you the option to attempt repairs and your backups are current, accept it. If SeaTools cannot repair the damage, it will show an error code.
  • Report the results of the tests (PASS or FAIL), including any error codes, in your next reply.
=======================================================

Edited by LucheLibre, 28 February 2012 - 06:45 PM.

~ LL ~

#10 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

I do not have any system restore points. Did not know system restore is not working until I looked. Is it possible to uninstall the updates?

I will sort out the multiple protections running.

My Avg and malwarebytes are paid licenses. I think Avg runs out this summer. what is MSE?

Will get the seatools and run in morning.

Note, I was concerned about my 1tb ext drive so I ran Chk dsk, while it was running I ran the crystal disk info to see temp. Did this twice. Did not realize that closing crystal dsk left it running in background . The temp on the ext drive went up to 58c and it went off line. Hope it will function in am . I had to terminate the ywo instances of crystal dsk through ctrl alt del and manager. The x in the top corner closes the interface but it stay running.
I guess with Chk dsk and two instances of crystal dsk it overheated the ext drive. Should have waited for further instructions.

#11 Yiddish

Yiddish

• Banned Spammer
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

Might be due to some corrupted file, identify that and restore it, or try some genuine antivirus.

#12 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

I do not have any system restore points. Did not know system restore is not working until I looked. Is it possible to uninstall the updates?

Yes. Click the start orb and type in updates. In the search results, click on View Installed Updates. Look at the "Installed On" column for the updates installed 2/25/12. Double-click on each to uninstall them. Reboot and use the computer for a bit to relate any changes.

Be sure to turn on System Restore.

My Avg and malwarebytes are paid licenses. I think Avg runs out this summer. what is MSE?

I would uninstall AVG immediately then. You're not getting your money's worth. Malwarebytes is not primarily an anti-virus, but then, very little of the malware we get these days are viruses. MSE stands for Microsoft Security Essentials. Good, lightweight program with an excellent policy on user interaction.

About the hard drives, CrystalDiskInfo does not put any stress on the drive. It simply reads the configuration and S.M.A.R.T data the drives report.

But it does seem that you have a heat problem, which might be contributing to your overall problem. Hard drive's shouldn't get over 50C, as a rule.

Be sure you have current backups of your problem drives. Don't forget to run SeaTools and report your findings.

Edited by LucheLibre, 29 February 2012 - 03:23 PM.

~ LL ~

#13 SmartWave

SmartWave

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

Hi! I hope you work this out and make your computer faster. I know it could be really annoying!
There are a few reasons that could make your pc slower. It could be a virus, scan your computer with a good antivirus. Also try defragmenting your hard disk. This could also be caused by bad sectors and disk errors, so you should run a disk checkup. Also try cleaning your physical drive that has the system (usually drive c) . A last resort would be checking your registries but that isn't advisable.
Anyway, you could find more details here: http://www.techyv.com/questions/my-laptop-running-so-slow-i-need-help-fixing-it
Good Luck!

#14 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Ran Seatools with repair enabled, the external drives passed both test.

The one that i use all day long is still running above 50c, i moved it to a location where an ac vent blows on it and it has cooled down some.

Have backed up all files to another hard drive.

Will remove update as mentioned and try to get sys restore running.

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

Just a quick note. 50c to 60c is not unusual for that specific external 1tb drive. They are known to run hot.

I would not trust that drive for data heavy stuff where every bit must be perfect like if you do some intense HDR stuff with more than 2 exposures. But that's just my personal opinion.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users