Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Wireless Adapter in Toshiba Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nosnahluap

Nosnahluap

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hello!

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655D laptop connected to my home wireless network (802.11n). I can get downloads speeds of only about 1.5 Mbps, with upload speeds of about 3.5Mbps. Here is a recent speed test through Xifinity (Comcast), my internet provider: http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/121092262.png

I have another laptop connected to this same wireless network that gets about 17 Mbps download and 3.5 Mbps upload. Therefore, I think I am being limited by the wireless adapter inside this Toshiba laptop. Device Manager identifies this adapater as a Realtec RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC. Device Manager says I have the current driver installed for the adapter.

Do you have any ideas that could speed up my connection? Thanks for your help!!

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

I would go here to the download link and see if they show any issues with the wireless and also look for a updated driver for it. Only use the Toshiba supplied drivers for best results.

No need to create a user and sign in unless you want to use their forums.
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/pubLogin.jsp

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Nosnahluap

Nosnahluap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

I didn't find any update info about the wireless card on the Toshiba site. It had the same version of the driver - I installed it, just in case there was a problem with my copy of the driver. No change in download speeds. I then joined the Toshiba website to view their forums on the issue. One posting suggested contacting the Realtek website for the latest version of the driver - which I did and installed. Even with the new version of the driver, the download speeds are the same.

I called customer supprt for Toshiba and they were not able to help me. They are suggesting a full back up and then doing a system recovery. AFter that, they suggest sending in the machine for warranty service. Do you have any suggestions before I send it to them?

Thanks for the help!!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

Is it still under warranty? If so see if a local Toshiba service center can do the warranty on it.
This web site should let you look up warranty status.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/globalEntitlement.jsp?nav=Warranty

Either way I would backup the hard drive.
Make the recovery DVD set if not done already, just in case.

I would also do a test of speeds with a wired connection to be sure it is a hardware rather than a software issue.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Nosnahluap

Nosnahluap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

It is still in warranty, so I think that is the route I am going to have to go. I was hoping for a simple fix that wouldn't take the laptop out of use for a while - but oh well. I did try the speed test with a wired connection - it was about 25 Mbps - so it is the hardware. Now I just need to back up my machine and get it repaired.

Thanks for the suggestions - I appreciate that you took the time to answer me!!

THANKS!!

Paul

#6 dxrosemary

dxrosemary

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:02 PM

I had the same problem with my new Toshiba Satellite. I did EVERYTHING I could think of or read in forums to try to fix it, and nothing worked. Like you, I assumed it wasn't the adapter, because wired or wireless made no difference, however, in my case it WAS the adapter. I already had an inexpensive little USB adapter, (part of a workaround on that old dog VISTA) so in a last ditch effort, I went in and disabled the network adapter and popped in the usb adapter. My download speed prior to doing this was around 3mbps. As soon as I went to the USB adapter, my download speed jumped to 45mbps, which for a wireless connection through a concrete wall is respectable. I suspect that some of the Satellite models have a defective built-in wifi chip and sometimes ethernet chip too. Crappy quality control, but the problem was fixed for ten bucks which was cheaper than shipping it back and less hassle than doing a factory reset (which wouldn't have fixed the problem anyway)  The little Edimax USB wireless adapter runs about $10 on Amazon and it fixed my problem.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:12 PM

Hi Rosemary

have You checked to see if there are any Toshiba Authorized Service Providers near You? If they determine that the Wireless is bad they can change the the motherboard at their location. Toshiba Overnights warranty parts.

Not to mention that Toshiba will send a prepaid return carton for warranty work. IMO having to have a USB adapter sticking out that can easily be damaged or cause damage to the USB port is not a good thing.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users