Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Install Ruined My Machine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 needynoob

needynoob

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

PLEASE HELP!!! I had originally installed Window 7 and have been running it with no problems at all. I thought some experience with Ubuntu would be advantageous to my overall computer knowledge and as a result attempted to install Ubuntu. The install process went horribly wrong and as a result my machine will not even let me load Windows 7 from the installation disk. It goes to the black screen where the Windows is loading files and upon completion the cloudy Windows stock image comes up with the mouse pointer and does nothing further. I have the hard drive hooked up in an alternate machine in preparation for data recovery but before I proceed into these untested waters I thought I should get some advice. I have posted problems on this site before and received invaluable advice. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

See this tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/116098-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
and this one
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/210983-dual-boot-delete-os.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

I'd say try a few more times. If it doesn't work, try it in another computer. Flaky RAM, a scratched CD/DVD, or a dirty CD/DVD lens can cause that type of behavior.

Nothing you did is logically capable of causing your PC to not load up your W7 CD correctly.

#4 needynoob

needynoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Finally found a copy of Windows 7 to access the repair options to no avail. With the help of test disk I was able to change the partition table to NTFS and when installed on another machine could access all the system folders and personal information. I took this to be a good thing, but when I reinstalled the hardrive in the original machine it would not boot, nor could the repair options make it bootable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users