Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Flash Drives and Online Security

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

I have often wondered (worried) about this...

When I have a flash drive (with sensitive information on it) connected to my computer
And then go surfing the internet...while that flash drive is still connected...
Is there anyway that the contents of that USB drive could be read by someone else (an attacker, excluding key loggers)?
I ask, as it's a huge hassle to properly shut down the flash everytime I want to go on the internet. Since I don't know the answer to my question, that is what I constantly do...shut down the flash if I am going to get on the web.

I also have concerns that my computer might be making temporary copies of what is on the flash drive, and storing that on my hard drive. How do I find and delete any copies? The whole point of keeping sensitive data on the flash is so that it would NOT be available on the hard drive in the event my computer's security were ever compromised.

Thanks in advance for your input/enlightenment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hopefully the flash drive is backed up and encrypted. They do go bad. They do get lost.

If you value the data on that drive then you should do what I do.

One inexpensive laptop for Online banking, Bill paying, Income tax, shopping on Amazon and Newegg only. No browsing the Internet, No Email, Nothing else. Always current antivirus and security updates. Wired Only, no wireless in the house even. No Wifi even turned on.

Remember a wireless keyboard can be sniffed too as well as wireless connections.

Second Laptop for general use, Desktop for general use (much bigger screen).

http://hothardware.com/News/Beware-of-Lost-and-Found-USB-Flash-Drives-Theyre-Brimming-with-Malware-Sophos-Says/

Security firm Sophos said it studied 50 USB keys bought at a major transit authority's Lost Property auction
and of those 50, two-thirds were infected with malware.

later

Another fun tidbit: none of the 50 USB keys were encrypted, though none contained any "smoking guns," like insider trading tips, credit card dumps, criminal plots, etc. There were, however, files containing tax deductions, minutes of an activists' meeting, photo albums of family and friends, software and web source code, and other information you typically wouldn't want to go around sharing willy-nilly.

Edited by rotor123, 28 February 2012 - 01:15 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users