Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Krenos

Krenos

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

Here are my current goals/stipulations:
Intel Processors ONLY!!!
nVidia Graphics Cards only!!!!!
Good Cooling, and an aftermarket heatsink.
Case should be bigger, but not huge[I loved my Thermaltake Xaser V1, but its too damn big for my desk!]
Motherboard should support up at least 16g Ram, 32g preferably
At least 8g+ Ram, more if possible[My last Build had 12g, was that overkill? Besides i found a nice price on 16g]
Sound card nice but optional.
Dual GPU[SLI] nice but not really needed.
Decent PSU
Overclocking would be awesome.
If possible, a good size SSD for my OS
At least a 1TB internal HD, would prefer more.
All at or around $1,500
Also need monitor but may be willing to buy that outside funds.

Newegg is my site of choice, but if you have other sites i would consider them.

Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115071
I have been really taken with the SandyBridge chips, and this one seems to be a real good deal for the money.

Motherboard:
This is where i usually get stuck and ask for help, I have absolutly no Idea. I know what socket to look for, and I know how to ckeck the specs but i still just get confused >.> I am new to overclocking, but i want to be able to pust he SandyBridge and get all i can out of her.

Case:
Decided once a motherboard has been selected.

Heatsink/CPU Cooling:
Need to know case before I can decide on this.

Hard Drive:
SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442
Mostly for my WEI score[vain, i know] But wouldnt mind running a game or two from it.

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840
I prefer Western Digital, but i hear just as many bad things with them as i do Seagate, was hesitant to add this seagate drive but would like your guy's input. Especially as a secondary drive, which can easily be replaced. Is it worth it?

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130758
Wanted the open cage Dual-fan version but i guess they stopped making them.

Ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315
Heard good things about this Ram, and its a decent price for 16g, so longas the MoBo can hold 4 sticks and use all of it!

PSU:
Another area i need help with, i had no problems with my last build using a 750w, but with overclocking/more powerful componets, should I bump up to a 900+?

Either way what i have listed still has me around $825$950[Forgot the SSD >.>]
With some input, I would like to make this the best build i can for my money!

Edited by Krenos, 26 February 2012 - 09:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

What are you going to be doing with this computer? The RAM amount would indicate content creation as no gamer needs more than 8GB.

Is the EVGA 012-P3-2068-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti the dual fan model you were looking for? The MSI N560GTX-Ti 448 Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti is a dual fan alternative.

If you are going to be overclocking, I suggest the "K" version of that CPU.

For the motherboard, the ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 is good. It uses the P67 chipset which is current, though, with Intel, that could change quickly given how they do chipsets.

For the case, if you are going to be getting higher-end graphics cards or using SLI/Crossfire, you may want to consider a full ATX case. Just sit the beast in the floor, it'll be fine. The COOLER MASTER COSMOS II RC-1200-KKN1 is one of the best full ATX cases you can get, it is pricey though. The LIAN LI PC-A71F is good and more reasonably priced, for an aluminum full ATX case. At the inexpensive end of full-ATX cases would be the NZXT ZERO 2 Crafted Series CS-NT-ZERO-2. For mid-ATX cases, the LIAN LI ARMORSUIT PC-P50 is high quality but also somewhat pricey.

For cooling, simple is better. I like the XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm. It moves lots of air and is quiet. I use a similar model and it keeps my FX-8150 nice and cool.

Excellent choice with an SSD. I would go with either them, or Intel, or Samsung.

They make 8GB sticks of RAM that are reasonably priced, like the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600. That motherboard will take 32GB, but, unless you do content creation or manipulate tons of data, (No, gaming doesn't count) you only really need 8GB.

Even with overclocked components, 750W is more than enough. The ENERMAX Platimax EPM750AWT 750W is a premium unit, but the SILVERSTONE ST75F-P 750W is also pretty good.

You also need an OS, you could wait a few days and use the Windows 8 Consumer Preview for free until it actually launches later this year. Or, buy Windows 7.

For a monitor, I would go for a 24-inch model, you'll love the space. That said, those typically come in 1920 x 1080 and 1920 x 1200 models. The 1200 models are often more expensive, but are also made of monitor panels instead of repurposed television panels, like the 1080 models. You will also get to choose between a TN monitor and an IPS monitor. TN's are faster but IPS often delivers better quality. Whichever you choose, get one with an 8ms response time or less for gaming. My current monitor is broken, and I'm getting the Dell UltraSharp U2412M, which is an LED backlit IPS monitor.

Edited by DJBPace07, 26 February 2012 - 06:23 PM.

3939.png

#3 Krenos

Krenos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

More Ram feels better, I was planning on moving into 3D modeling and some Video Shooting/Making. Fraps and the like.
Is the 10-10-10-30 timing on the ram you suggested that much better than the 9-9-9-24 timing on the ones I posted?

Ive head some bad things about the MSI cards, do you use them? Ive mostly stuck with EVGA based on my personal exp.

IS there any surefire way to recieve the "K" version of the processor?

I have the OS from my old Rig but i may check out 8, was the 7 pre-launch stable enough to game on?

I currently use a 47" TV for my Monitrue are ture monitors really that much better?

I like your advice regarding the MoBo, Case, and Cooler, just want to clarify these points before I take my build a step further.

Thank you so much for your input and I hope to hear from you again!

EDIT:
Just saw that the i7-2700K[http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115095] is only $10 more than the i7-2600k I was looking at. Is there something different im not seeing? OR is this just an overall better processor?

Edited by Krenos, 27 February 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

More RAM may feel better, but you won't notice it unless you keep loads of windows open. Keep in mind that programs will not use more than 4GB of RAM if they aren't native 64-bit compatible on a 64-bit operating system. 32-bit programs on a 64-bit OS are limited by the amount of RAM they can address, even though a 64-bit operating system can use much more RAM. IF you have a native 64-bit program and IF you also have a 64-bit OS, it can make use of all the RAM you can throw at it. Timings generally won't matter too much in day-to-day usage.

EVGA is a great Nvidia brand, as is Galaxy. Honestly, it doesn't really matter which manufacturer you use as the GPU chip is the same, only the rest of the card is somewhat different. AMD and Nvidia both release reference versions of their cards which manufacturers are allowed to modify to a certain level. What you are really paying for is cooling, the bundle, and warranty. I usually go with whatever brand is least expensive that offers what I want.

As for the "K" series question, you need to buy an Intel CPU with "K" in the model. This is where AMD and Intel differ as most of AMD's FX CPU's are unlocked already. With Intel, you need either a "K" or Extreme CPU, which has a price premium attached. I believe the Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz is the highest-end model you can get for your socket. The 2500K, 2600K, and 2700K are essentially the same thing, but with different prices and base clocks. For reference, the AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz is comparable to the 2500K/2600K depending on workload.

Windows 8 CP is still technically a beta, so your mileage may vary. Some games have limited activations due to their DRM, keep this in mind if you decide to go this route. Keep in mind that you cannot reuse an OEM version of Windows due to licensing. Only boxed, retail versions may be moved from one PC to another. You may have to purchase Windows again, hence the Windows 8 suggestion.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users