Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP home stuck in reboot cycle

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

After running scans for virus and malware, my Acer desktop is stuck in a re-boot cycle. It did not find any infections and I removed some unused web products to clean it up from being slow. It has 1 gb ram. I cannot boot in safe and have tried last known config. It seemed to be running fine before the scans. Can I safely run a fixboot or another boot program from the XP disc recovery and repair without losing my files and programs? I have tested the hd, memory, MB and processor. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

should be able to , choose "R" for repair ,and at the dos prompt ,type in .
chkdsk /r

space between the k and /

if that doesn't help .reboot to disk and at the same prompt , try "fixboot " with out the ""

using recovery
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Edited by caperjac, 26 February 2012 - 09:31 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

I tried both with same results. I did manage to open a mini xp session and can see my files, but still won't boot...

#4 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

I may have found a solution as per Windows article 892893. I have copied the file as they suggest into system32 directory, but how am I going to modify the registry when I can't boot? Can anyone tell me how to modify the registry from the recovery console where I have a command prompt? (or any other way???)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

<<Can anyone tell me how to modify the registry from the recovery console where I have a command prompt? (or any other way???)>>

KB referenced, Cannot Logon After Removing Wsaupdater.exe

"Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.

Modify the registry
1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2.In Registry Editor, expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
3.In the right pane, right-click userinit, and then click Modify.
4.Replace wsaupdater.exe with userinit.exe, (make sure to include the comma, as shown), and then click OK.
5.Restart your computer."

That KB response seems to indicate an assumption that the user is able to get into regedit normally, after negating the impact of a known malware item.

From what you have posted, that is not the case with your situation...it does not seem that this particular KB applies to your situation. I would not advise using it as a basis for resolving your problems.

FWIW: How To Edit Windows Registry Key Values without Booting in Windows » Raymond.CC Blog - http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/07/02/how-to-edit-windows-registry-key-values-without-booting-in-windows/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#6 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

I am at a loss for what to do now. I was finally able (with pc regedit prog) to verify the existence of the userinit.exe, file. All seems fine with that, but the system still won't boot. This is a business server that I really need to save. Any other suggestions? Thanks again....

#7 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Press F8 to bring up the Advanced Options Menu again and select Disable automatic restart on system failure. The system will attempt to boot normally. Relate what happens.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#8 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

F8 doesn't show that option in xp home on my system....I even went into bios to find that option...no luck

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

Hi

I don't know if I can help but I have some specific questions that might make it easier for me or someone else to make some suggestions.

Can you give an exact description of what happens from the time you turn power on to the time that it crashes/reboots?

What is the OS / Service Pack? For example, is it XP Home SP3 or something else?

Is the data on it important enough (and not backed up elsewhere) that you'd like to make an image of the drive before trying anymore repairs?

Finally, do you have the XP disks and are they retail or an OEM restore disk?

James

#10 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Thanks for all the help! The os is XP Home sp2...my os disk is a retail, but I was able to do a repair install with same results. When I power up, I get the Windows XP splash screen for about 7 seconds and then it goes to the boot menu with the timer for normal boot...then keeps on rebooting. My problem is that this is a server and I don't have all the discs for re-installing the software for the business. I even went to recovery console and did a repair and then a fixboot...same results...I inspected the MB and see 2 possible bulging cap....no bad, but suspect...

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

Press F8 to bring up the Advanced Options Menu again and select Disable automatic restart on system failure. The system will attempt to boot normally. Relate what happens.

Please try this again.

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

I think the confusion here is that geno368 is not pressing F8 to bring up the "Advanced Options Menu" and is seeing the automatic "Boot Menu" that does not have the option for "Disable automatic restart on system failure"

Geno368, be sure to follow AustrAlien's instructions concerning hitting F8 to see the option that you need to set.

James

#13 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

Gosh you guys are great...but...I am pressing the F8 and am getting the advanced startup options....there is no option to disable auto restart after debugging mode...I just tried it 3 times from a cold boot...

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Can you take a pic of what you are seeing and post it? That would be the best way for us to see exactly what is happening at your end.

Let me know if you need help/instructions?

Otherwise, can you provide a list of the options that you do see?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#15 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

I wish I could figure out how to do a system restore from last Friday...thats when the system was working, but just slow...Is there any way to do that and start my cleanup again???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users