Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whose Ram Is This Any Way?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:16 PM

Gonna do some up gradn an need ta kno what chya'll like inna way 'o sheeps,RAMs if'ns ya kno whats i meens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:23 PM

try this link to find the RAM that you can use

http://www.crucial.com/index.asp
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:46 PM

Been to Crucial.Was trying to setup a poll to see whose everybody's fav was.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:53 PM

oops my bad, misunderstood. anyway I use Corsair on my builds. Lifetime guarantee and they come thru the time I needed them to.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:13 AM

I eBay for the east expensive RAM. I work with P-II & P-III computers mainly so the cheaper the better. PC100 & PC133
Is that what you mean??
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:53 AM

I have Kingston in my box right now.... if i'm understanding the question correctly.... lol

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:33 AM

I usually prefer Corsair Value Select. Good price, never had a bad one.

#8 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:14 PM

Uuuum,lets see two corsairs,1 ebay and one kingston so far.Need one more cosair to win.Or maybe we'll get a few more ebays or kingstons before its' over.OR somebody might come up w/a new entry.Call now make your voice heard!

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:27 AM

corsair OC ram is awesome i however am not lucky enuff to own any (stuck w/ hunday ram and yes I misspelled the name)

Posted Image

#10 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:43 AM

Plain ole peony elcheapo ram works as good as the crucial I have in 2 other boxes.

#11 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:55 PM

Ummmm again!I guess what I'm reading here is buy the cheapest?I'm a tightwad and I'm running aPIII so that sonds good to me!Ummmm,wonder if I should change the motherboard and go to PIII orAthlon so I can eventually go up to 2+gigs(I'm limited to 512 now).

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:49 PM

Keep your P-III box for backup and build a AMD box. You only have two RAM slots?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:12 PM

Ummmm again!I guess what I'm reading here is buy the cheapest?I'm a tightwad and I'm running aPIII so that sonds good to me!

I would buy RAM from one of these three companys:
(just plug in your specs, they'll give you options)

Crucial
Kingston
Corsair

These are reputable companys that stand behind their products. Also, check out the info on
their sites. There's a lot of good info about RAM, definitely worth the read.

Some additional info on RAM:

There are such things as cheap , ninety day , or generic RAM, which is actually sold,
and doesn't meet the minimum standards of the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council), for use in computers. But it is still sold, and un-informed people, still buy it.

RAM can generally be divided into a few classes:
(Excepting Performance or Overclockers RAM, which is made to the highest tolerances)

Premium or Lifetime Warranty: This RAM is made from Identical chips, all tested
and meeting the assemblers standards, all from the same chip manufacturer and lot.
The capacitors and resistors are of the highest standard, and exceed the JEDEC
standard, and all are installed on a circuit board which is thicker than required . The
final product is tested to confirm that it is stable at the rated speed.

One Year Warranty: Very close, but may include memory chips from different batches,
although still the same manufacturer. The circuit board tends to be at least one ply
thinner, and the resistors and capacitors may have more variance. These still meet the
JEDEC standards, and are tested to make sure they are stable at the specified speed.

OEM: These are intended for sale to a manufacturer, not for resale, although they
often are sold retail. Often if you buy two sticks, you will find that they have memory
chips from different manufacturers. They still meet standards (the chips are certified to
meet the manufacturers specifications), but are often yet another ply thinner, and once
again, may have more variance in the tolerance of resistors and capacitors, and may
use fewer, than on higher quality RAM.

Generic or 90 Day RAM: This is the lowest quality you will generally encounter.
Often these are made of leftover chips; ones salvaged from returned and failed RAM,
RAM designed to run at a higher speed which failed and became unstable. They are
put on really thin boards, which do not meet the JEDEC standard. They rarely have
even the minimum number, and quality of resistors and capacitors, recomended by the
JEDEC .

Also, if you touch the RAM anywhere except the edges, you should know that the oils
and salts in your skin are corrosive, and will eventually damage the ram. And if you
touch it without observing anti-static precautions, you can cause damage, which may
show up immediately, or somewhere down the line.

This is why I always recommend that you spend the extra money to buy Quality Name
Brand RAM
with a lifetime warranty. I also prefer to buy all RAM at one time when
possible, and at a minimum, make sure it has identical specifications (easiest method,
make sure it is same manufacturer and model).
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:24 PM

To add to tg1911's list I'd like to add OCZ memory. It compares favorably wiht the Kingston (IMO) and is about equally priced. I've used it on my last 2 systems without any problems at all.

There's 2 camps about RAM - one says that some errors are acceptable, the other says that no errors are acceptable.

I'm in the latter - I don't want any errors when I'm balancing my checkbook! Spending a little extra for quality RAM is worth the price!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:13 AM

The "ECC or NonECC in ram does not mean errors are acceptable or unacceptable.
It depends what the motherboard was built to accept.

Do I need error checking?
Most desktop computers take what's called "non-parity" memory and do not need error correction code (ECC), or "parity" modules. (However, in most cases ECC modules will work in desktops.) ECC modules look for errors in data and are most often found in servers and other mission-critical applications used by large networks and businesses. There are, however, a few desktop systems that do use ECC modules. In any case, you should buy the type of memory that's already installed in your system. You can tell which kind you have by looking at one of the modules currently installed. Count the RAM chips on one module. If the number of chips can be evenly divided by three or five, you should buy ECC or parity (whichever is offered for your system). If not, you should buy non-parity. For example, if one of your modules has nine RAM chips, you should buy ECC or parity. If one of your modules has eight RAM chips, you should buy non-parity. Or, you can look up your system in the Memory Advisor tool.

If you're building your own system, we recommend using non-parity parts unless you will be using your system as a server or have a need for error checking. ECC and parity parts are slower than non-parity parts.
http://www.crucial.com/crucial/pvtcontent/...type=CHOOSE#ecc

Do yourself a favor and let the Crucial scanner determine what ram you need, or download Everest Home v 1.51 from oldversion.com and it will tell you what you already have installed, plus everything else about your computer - hardware and software.

Crucial advisor:
http://www.crucial.com/

If this is DDR or DDR2 ram then you have to weigh how much you want to spend for high quality hi performance ram which may or may not be faster than the cheaper ram - just tested more stringently. How fast a processor do you have and what kind of motherboard? Hi end processor - get hi end ram and vice versa.

If you're buying ram for an older machine like a P3 just get any major brand that's the cheapest, or even used RAM (but the same specs your motherboard already has)

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 February 2006 - 02:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users