Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Firefox

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 v123naqrroc

v123naqrroc

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

I used to use Netscape browser it was great, then like most of us I moved over to Mozilla Firefox and it used to be great too.
Now However I get an update almost every week which annoys the hell out of me.
This thing seems to be getting more and more boated all the time.
The latest problem is half the time it won't shut down I end up having to open taskmaster and shutting it down that way so I can then reopen it up.
Seems to want to run unseen in the background. What’s the cure for this? Even rebooting the computer doesn't always shut it down
Another problem is I seem to have lost the refresh button. A real nuisance when you are bidding on an auction with just a minute to go.
I have tried to get it back from options, toolbars to no avail.
I tried a while ago to download Opera and use this instead but it wouldn't load??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Even though it did not work for you, I would still suggest:
Open Tools menu, choose Options... item,
Choose Advanced (over to the righthand side at the top),
open the tab labeled "Update".

You have three options and can choose exactly one of them: You would choose Either:
Check for Updates, but let me choose whether...
Or
Never Check for Updates.

The only question is, are these options and that path presented for you or not? Then, if they are, then do they fail for you when you had selected them?

#3 v123naqrroc

v123naqrroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
What bugs me more than the updates is the fact that won't shut down and I have stuff round using taskmaster to shut it down as it's running unseen.
I have found since that if I right click I get a reload function. I used to be able to go next to the back button and refresh.
But why won't it shut down and why is hiding.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:03 AM

Mozilla has begun to follow the Google pattern of issuing updates on a six-week basis rather than 6-0 month. These updates include new features as they are completed, bug fixes, and security patches; by making them "automatic" this allows the Mozilla folks not to spend precious time supporting browsers that are several years old.

My suggestion is to delete Firefox (in add/delete programs)and re-install the latest version from the Ff page. This will not destroy either your bookmarks or your personal preferences because they are kept in a folder separate from the browser application.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users