Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox takes 2-5 minutes to open

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 veggienae

veggienae

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hello,

This may be related to my post in the Infection forum, but I thought I'd post here, just in case the problems are entirely separate. I'm fixing up my dad's computer while he is recovering from surgery. It's an older Pentium 4 running XP Sp3. On startup, Firefox 10.0.2 takes a minimum of 2 minutes before it will open; the longest time I've clocked is 8 minutes. Other applications open immediately; only Firefox is that slow.

I thought I had the problem solved in December. Incredimail had added an unwanted toolbar, search option, and home page. Everything returned to normal after I did a full uninstall and reinstall of Firefox, with precaution to prevent such hijacking. At first I thought FF was slow opening because Incredimail is attempting (and failing) to take over every time the computer restarts. However, now web pages are freezing in mid-load, which didn't happen before, and occasionally, the entire program closes with no warning. Even stranger, after the random shutdowns, I don't get the "This is embarrassing" screen on Firefox.

I don't mean to be ungrateful, but I'm only here for another day, so any immediate help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

You must have an old, slow machine. Mine is also like that (actually, almost like that). I too use an old 9 year old laptop with Windows XP sp3, 2.0 GHz processer, 512MB R.O.M. Firefox v10.0.2 often takes about 40 to 50 seconds to open, the first time during a computer session; but then is much faster to open later in a computer session.

I find faster results with Comodo Dragon and Pale Moon. If Firefox is too slow for you, there ARE alternatives.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

Just read your other topic and this one.
Revo uninstaller may help you to completely remove AVG and any other program.
I never recommend IObit products. They do not enjoy a good reputation.

Have you tried running Firefox without any addons enabled? Just click on Help and choose
Restart With Add-Ons disabled. If Firefox starts significantly faster then you should add back one
add-on at a time to find the one(s) causing the problem.

As to programs starting up unexpectedly, I am not sure what is causing that. Sometimes the
best and fastest solution is a complete reinstall of OS and programs.

I would not reinstall Incredimail. It is also one of the worse to try to uninstall. A real pain.

Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs easily
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 veggienae

veggienae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

You must have an old, slow machine. Mine is also like that (actually, almost like that). I too use an old 9 year old laptop with Windows XP sp3, 2.0 GHz processer, 512MB R.O.M. Firefox v10.0.2 often takes about 40 to 50 seconds to open, the first time during a computer session; but then is much faster to open later in a computer session.

I find faster results with Comodo Dragon and Pale Moon. If Firefox is too slow for you, there ARE alternatives.

The machine is older with 4.00 GHz and 760 MB RAM, but the point is well taken; 2 minutes+ still makes me think that there is another issue in addition to age. I would switch him to another browser, but since I won't be here to show him how it works, switching at this time isn't an option. Thanks anyway.

#5 veggienae

veggienae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Just read your other topic and this one.
Revo uninstaller may help you to completely remove AVG and any other program.
I never recommend IObit products. They do not enjoy a good reputation.

Have you tried running Firefox without any addons enabled? Just click on Help and choose
Restart With Add-Ons disabled. If Firefox starts significantly faster then you should add back one
add-on at a time to find the one(s) causing the problem.

As to programs starting up unexpectedly, I am not sure what is causing that. Sometimes the
best and fastest solution is a complete reinstall of OS and programs.

I would not reinstall Incredimail. It is also one of the worse to try to uninstall. A real pain.

Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs easily

Your idea about uninstalling was right on. I did a manual search for AVG on the machine and found one random directory that was causing the error. I deleted that, and startup was considerably faster.

I tried to do a System check for .dll errors, but discovered I don't know where the startup disk is that came with this computer (the machine was preloaded with XP). There are a few missing .dll files, but I'll have to get those next trip I guess.

I also checked the error logs and discovered two registry entries that were causing error reports; apparently, the entries are left over from an IE 8 upgrade and are a known issue. Deleting those also sped things up.

I went with the IObit software because of its ease of use. It has been helpful, but I'm sure there are better things out there. If you have suggestions about free, super easy, options, I'm all ears.

I agree with you about Incredimail. My dad has wanted to switch for a long time, but had years of emails that he would have to convert individually. Now that I found the Reynardware batch converter (posted on Mozilla's site), I can switch him and keep all his email intact.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

Two backup of Incredimail howtos:
How to Back Up IncrediMail Emails, Contacts, and other Data - About Email
How to Back Up IncrediMail | eHow.com

If you are relying on IOBits antispyware product, I would recommend using either
Super Antispyware or MalwareBytes Antimalware. Both are free to scan with and are
the top of the line. If you would like to purchase one for real time protection they are
very reasonably priced.

IOBits was caught using the MBAM signatures for their antispyware product. Since that
time their product is way below average for detecting and removing malware. That's my
personal opinion and not that of BC. You can find more about that on the web.

PC Hell: How to Uninstall Incredimail Automatically

Another site with uninstall info more links to uninstall info:
How to Completely Remove IncrediMail | eHow.com
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users