Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

locked out, can only access as guest

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hwally

hwally

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

I was given an older Dell desktop running xp pro sp3. I think it has or had a trojan. I was deleting older programs and when I tried to delete a (pirated version of a program)the computer shut down and when I signed in I could only sign in as guest. When I try to access system restore through help and support I get the message "You are logged in with an account that doesn't have permission to view Help and Support center.
Contact an administrator for assistance. I get variations of this whenever I try to access anything that could alter the computer. When I use cmd I get system error 5. access denied. if I'm trying to access anything other than general info. At first I couldn't access safe mode. The f8 key did nothing. Finally I hit f1 and f8 and got into safe mode. I still am only able to sign in as guest and get the same pop ups about no administrative access. When I go to user accounts only guest is listed and when I click on it it doesn't open. I'm not able to download anything onto the computer, access denied. I was able to boot Microsoft Stand Alone System Sweeper and did a full scan. I detected nothing. I have avg and cc cleaner on the infected computer and neither detect anything. Is it possible there is nothing and I am just locked out of the computer. The strange part is when I first got the computer and signed in it had an entirely different desktop with lots of icons. I can't access that now. The desktop I get is very basic with only a few icons. When I check installed programs there are still many listed from before. Is there anyway I can regain access? I am able to access bios and hsve created passwords for administrator and system. I'm able to boot some, but not all, things via usb. Cd doesn't show up under boot options in bios. `

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping C., all the older dells I have worked on have a sticker that lists the operating system and a product key on the side or back. At this point I would try to reinstall the OS using a matching version of XP(oem) and use that key number. If the CD drive is dead, you would have to replace.

Edited by DaChew, 25 February 2012 - 01:34 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hwally

hwally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hello, Yes that would be a good way to go but I don't have the os cd. I'm in a pretty isolated part of Mexico that only recently got the internet. Not much chance of finding a disc anywhere around here. I have lots of time, a working computer and a desire to learn. I'd like to see if I can figure this out, with a little help from my friends. I'm going through your tutorials and older posts trying to find clues. Also the computer belonged to a man who passed away and his family would like to have the photos still on the computer. Let's see if we can turn this bleeping computer into a working computer. Thanks

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Does the hidden administrative logon show in the safe mode welcome screen, guest account should not be even listed.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
Chewy

#5 hwally

hwally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hello Chewy, No, As soon as I get into safe mode the log in box pops up and guest is already inserted in "user name". Password is blank. If I put in Administrator and no password then hit enter I get the message "The system could not log you on, make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type the password again. Letters in the passwords must be typed using the correct case. If I sign in as guest I have very limited access to everything. I am in safe mode it has safe mode in all four corners. If I had a trojan or some other sort of Malware would it be active in safe mode? Thank you for the help keep up the good work

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

make sure your user name and domain are correct

I really don't like that part, that and your mention of XP professional would indicate this computer may have been part of a domain network. We are going to be very limited in our options here. What does that sticker I mentioned earlier say about the licensed operating system.
Chewy

#7 hwally

hwally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

Hello Chewy, downloaded Linux System Rescue CD, reset admin password and have full access once again. A really great tool. Thanks for the knowledge sent my way. Bye for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users