Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Is Acting Odd

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 selfmade64856

selfmade64856

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

I am running:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
AMD Phenom 2X4 960T Processor 3.00 GHz
16GB Ram (15.7GB Usable)

The first thing that I started noticing was that after creating a system restore point, the restore point would disappear the next day. Now I am noticing little things like having to click on a start menu item twice to get it to load...or browser pages open with "Page Cannot Be Found" until I refresh the browser. Programs seem to hang a little where before they did not and sometime programs simply crash. There is really nothing I can pinpoint as everything happens pretty randomly.

I have ran AVG, Superantispyware, Spybot, Lavasoft Adaware, Malwarebytes and they haven't found anything. I have also ran each of the programs in safe mode with networking but still no dice.

Any suggestions in resolving this issue would surely be appreciated. I am all out of ideas so figured I would get some expert advise. Thanks!!!
Surround yourself with those that are smarter then you, otherwise you'll end up just as dumb as those around you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hello,looks like we should get a need a deeper look. Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 selfmade64856

selfmade64856
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:11 AM

Sorry for the late reply. I have been trying to finish up a project that is overdue.

I attempted to download the DDS file from the posted link but could not. After clicking on the download link, nothing happened so I had to download the file from a different computer and then run the program. I also attempted to run DDS but all that happens is that a cmd box pops up for a second and then disappears. Nothing happens after that, no logs, nadda.

Any suggestions? I am going to attempt to run GMER now. Will report back shortly.

Thank you for your assistance :)

UPDATE:

The GMER instructions say "Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version, please do not create a GMER log and instead skip to the next step." I am running 64 bit and the next step is for me to post the DDS and GMER log....which I cannot do....so back to step......1? :)

Edited by selfmade64856, 28 February 2012 - 04:20 AM.

Surround yourself with those that are smarter then you, otherwise you'll end up just as dumb as those around you.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,948 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download OTL by OldTimer and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other applications and windows so that you have nothing open.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    If you receive a UAC prompt asking if you would like to continue running the program, you should press the Continue button.
  • Under Output, ensure that Minimal Output is selected.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
    Leave the remaining selections to the default settings.
    If using a 64-bit system, the option for "Include 64bit scans" should be auto-checked.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Do not use the computer while the scan is in progress.
  • When the scan is complete, two log files will open in Notepad:
    • OTL.txt <- (will be maximized)
    • Extras.txt <- (will be minimized in the Task Bar).
  • Both logs are automatically saved to the Desktop.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of OTL.txt into a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here.
  • Also copy and paste the contents of Extras.Txt in your next reply as well. If the Extras.Txt log is too long, you may need to add it as an attachment.
  • Click the red X in the upper right corner to exit OTL.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If OTL did not work, then reply back here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 selfmade64856

selfmade64856
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi Quietman
Thanks for your assistance. I posted the requested information HERE.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,948 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

You're welcome.

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the Malware Response Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Good luck with your log.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users