Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vprotect cannot start error on startup even though AVG uninstalled

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 veggienae

veggienae

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

Hello all,

I have been reading this forum for years; until now, I've always found the answer I needed and never needed to post. So let me start by thanking you for all the wonderful advice, even though it wasn't aimed at me directly.

Now, onto my issue. I'm trying to fix my dad's computer while he is recovering from surgery. He's running an older Pentium 4 with Windows XP SP3. Recently, the computer has been noticeably slower on startup, even though I've disabled all the processes I found unnecessary and Dad was willing to part with. Some things, like Mbam, can be started relatively quickly. However, I have to wait 2-3 minutes to open Firefox (fully updated), every single time.

Lately, Dad started seeing an error box every time he reboots that says VProtect cannot start. The error detail looks like this:
vprot.exe
AppVer 10.0.0.7
Modrane vprot.exe
ModVer 10.0.0.7
Offset 000a5747

I was worried because I installed AVG free as his antivirus (he needs something automatic and easy), and thought he was no longer protected. I went to their site -- where many, many, users have posted the same issue -- and found that the company has no solution; the standard response is to run repair, and if that doesn't work, to uninstall and reinstall. I did all that, but still had the issue. Interestingly, the VProtect error box appears, even when AVG was (I thought) completely uninstalled. To be safe, I ran Mbam, which found no errors. I also ran TDSSKiller, again with no errors. Yet, I still see the box and still have trouble opening Firefox.

I used Secunia PSI to update anything I could. I also used IObit's uninstaller to remove the AVG toolbar, which never showed in Firefox and I specifically declined installing. IObit found it and deleted it. I rebooted, but still have the error and the slow Firefox load.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:
This morning the computer started both Skype and Secunia even though I had removed them from startup (both were updated last night). As I was working, Windows Media Player opened without my clicking on anything. The problem seems to be getting worse, but Mbam (updated this morning) still shows no issues. Any ideas? What's going on?

Edited by veggienae, 25 February 2012 - 09:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 veggienae

veggienae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

For anyone else with the same issue, the problem is caused by file from AVG SafeSearch. After you completely uninstall AVG, do a Search for any files on your system with AVG in the title. You'll find quite a few that the uninstaller left behind. After I deleted those, I went to AVG's website and ran their online uninstaller to clean up the rest. No more error message!

If you want to prevent the issue from happening, uncheck the Link option during setup. You'll still have full virus protection, but you won't have the AVG toolbar or any vProtect errors.

Thanks all for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users