Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing operating system? virus perhaps?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pandafan

Pandafan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

My computer had some popups and thus I turn off my computer. However when I open it, it WOULD NOT even make it to the desktop or log in page. It goes straight to a black screen stating OS missing (operating system).

So I scan the computer and found that the operating system is there, but I don't know what to do now. A little help.

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2012 - 07:03 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am IO Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:14 AM

System manufacturer and model?

If OEM (Dell, HP, etc.) system, the first place I would look would be the support webpages for said system.

Worth a look, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/missing-operating-system/b3b2d69f-c8ec-4c5c-b722-120ac32d82ae .

Please...be more explicit when describing system problems. What kind of popups...what were you doing...and so on.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2012 - 06:15 AM.

#3 Pandafan

Pandafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

System manufacturer and model?

If OEM (Dell, HP, etc.) system, the first place I would look would be the support webpages for said system.

Worth a look, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/missing-operating-system/b3b2d69f-c8ec-4c5c-b722-120ac32d82ae .

Please...be more explicit when describing system problems. What kind of popups...what were you doing...and so on.

Louis

Well, I was listening to music on youtube. On another tab, I decided to watch some movies. lol. so i went to search for movies to watch for free through downloading. I did try to download but it didnt work. It wasn't downloading the movie that I wanted but instead it was downloading the page for me to sign up to become a member so I can watch their movies. Later on, norton pops up on the corner saying that they have blocked an attack on the computer. I decided not to watch the movies anymore so I just browsed on youtube for stuff. Meanwhile, I was also playing a game called runescape. I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with why my stuff got cleared. After around 20 minutes later, there are these boxes that pop up on my screen. I am not sure what it said. Probably like 15 of these boxes? So i just clicked exit on all of them. Then my computer's system checks my computer to see if everything is working fine. I wait and see. I found out that I had like 7 viruses and the system had fixed 4? So I just shrugged it off. Went back to playing my runescape game and watching videos. Not 5 minutes later, the website closes on me. I'm just like ?_? huh. So I open it again and restore my recent page and then same thing happens again. This time, I see my whole front desktop erased of all the papers I've written and EVERYTHING. So im thinking that maybe if I restarted my computer, everything will be there. Like as if nothing ever happened. I restarted my computer and it didn't even make it to the blue screen where I would log into my computer. It went to this black page with only a coupe of letters saying that my computer was missing an operating system. Anyway, I own a Dell Inspiron. Anything I can do to fix it? My computer isnt even 1 year old. How could it crash on me so fast. :[

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

so i went to search for movies to watch for free through downloading. I did try to download but it didnt work. It wasn't downloading the movie that I wanted but instead it was downloading the page for me to sign up to become a member so I can watch their movies

Right there is where your computer became infected.

And age has nothing to do with it. You can trash a brand new computer in five minutes by visiting the wrong websites.

Edited by rotor123, 25 February 2012 - 04:40 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

Hello,sounds like you have the 3rd generation of the Windowa Recovery Rogue malware.

Please follow our Removal Guide here Remove Windows 7 Recovery (Uninstall Guide) .
After reading how the malware is misleading you ...
You will move to the Automated Removal Instructions

After you completed that, post your scan log here,let me know how things are.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Also the other tool log.. A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users