Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FYI about Lazarus 2.3 (Form Recovery Add-on for FF) and Rich Text Editors

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

I am not an expert in this area. I am simply sharing my experience to help other users who may be experiencing the same thing.

I saw a recommendation for Lazarus Form Recovery Add-on for FF (I use FF 10). The current release through FF is 2.3, but there is a new release v3.0.5 on their website. In addition, the new version is available for Chrome and Safari, and all three can be downloaded directly from Interclue. Honestly, if you're not having trouble or not using services like Gmail, and/or you have trouble losing data due to server problems, connection disruptions, etc., it's a great tool to have. I look forward to being able to use it again!

I had noticed that on certain sites that used Rich Text editors that I would experience frequent pauses during which my keystrokes weren't buffered (recorded). I type pretty fast when I get going, so I found this supremely annoying, especially when I was writing email on Gmail or writing a post on a forum that uses RTE. The pauses happened more frequently the faster I typed, so I would often have to go back and fix the errors created by the pauses. Grrrrrrr :angry:

I looked through my add-ons and only found one that interacted with typing - Lazarus 2.3. As soon as I disabled it, the problem stopped.

I then contacted the author via email and explained my problem. I asked to know if v3.0.5 might resolve this problem.

This was his response:

Lazarus 2.3 has some serious architectural problems that manifested itself when saving large amounts of data, and keeping forms for a long time. I've basically had to rewrite Lazarus from the ground (the 3.x version) up in an effort to work around those problems. However this is not really going to be a solution in your case because Lazarus 3.x doesn't yet support richtext text boxes (like in the gmail compose window). I'm working on the problem, and have a possible solution, but it's really complicated.

As far a BB code goes Lazarus should be fine, it saves and restores the original input that is entered into the textbox (NOTE: in richtext text boxes Lazarus (2.x only sorry) will save and restore the formatted HTML).

I have suggested that saving forms when using something like Gmail might be disabled.

If you are a slow typer, you might not notice the pauses, and might not really have trouble. If you've got speedy fingers, you may need to disable Lazarus. If I hear anything more from the author on this topic, I'll update.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users