I just finished a bitter struggle to the end to reconcile the differences between my computer and a mysterious problem I was having using the Rich Text Editor on this forum. Okay, so that sounds a bit melodramatic.
The story goes like this: I was experiencing two problems using the editor on here with RTE enabled (in my settings) and one with it turned off. FYI, I'm using FF10.
- After entering the full editor from Fast Reply, or after clicking Preview Post, everything in the editor would be formatted just as in the preview. Well, almost everything. Some things were wrong. That means that, instead of plain text with BBCode and emoticon code, in the EDITOR I saw the preview of the codes, and I couldn't edit the coding.
- If I used list tags and either went from Fast Reply to the full editor, then previewed once; or if I previewed twice, some of the list tags would be displayed incorrectly. Usually the first one or two * would be okay but, after that, they'd be replaced by <li>. When I paid close attention, I noticed that the first time there was a preview in the editor, the affected list tags showed up as bullets, not numbers, and the second preview both the preview and editor showed <li> for the broken * tags.
There was only one way to fix this problem. Before pressing "Use Full Editor" or Preview Post, I had to copy everything in the editor and, after clicking, I had to paste that back into the editor when it reappeared. If I forgot to copy, too bad for me!
- After those 2 problems, it was suggested that I should turn off the RTE, which I did. When I did that, and used Fast Reply then moved to the full editor to preview, some of the tags and characters would be replaced by html (such as ">", " ", and "<br>"), which is disabled on BC.
Finally, someone suggested that BBCodeXtra might be involved. I finally discovered that this was correct - RTE + BBCodeXtra was causing #1 & #2, and BBCOdeXtra was causing #3. After I removed this add-on, I no longer had trouble.
What has been explained to me is this: The Rich Text Editor (RTE) on IPB forums has had problems for a long time (do a search and you'll get tons of hits). This isn't BC's fault, and one person commented that it's long been a big problem for the support staff of IPB. Other people have experienced strange results - some worse than mine - and stopped using RTE.
I have since stopped using RTE and BBCodeXtra, and my problems have disappeared.
I hope that this message assists anyone who is having trouble with strange things happening in their editor. If you want, go to the IPB support forum and let them know.
Edit: added right paren
Edited by RevGAM, 24 February 2012 - 11:46 PM.