Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PS2 Slim Not Reading Discs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pgagliano

Pgagliano

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hello Everyone!

I had recently bought a PS2 Slim from a friend and it has suddenly stopped working. When the console is plugged into the TV, it turns on just fine, but when I go to play a PS2 game, PS1 game, or DVD, it does not read the discs. The disks do not spin and the laser does not move, the only thing running is the PS2 and the fan. I don't know how to go about resolving this issue and was wondering what the correct fix would include. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galyn

Galyn

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Ugh... I hate to tell you this buddy but it may be hardware..

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

If the disc isn't even spinning, the whole console has probably gone out (especially considering how old PS2 is these days).

If the disc was spinning but it just wasn't reading the disc, then I'd recommend cleaning the laser.

If by some chance it happens to be under warranty (doubt it is), you should contact Sony's warranty services.

Edited by NpaMA, 01 March 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#4 babulcool

babulcool

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Mate... I have a PS2 slim too. But I have never experienced such problems. But I may in the future. btw Did you counter your problem?? How did you combat it?? Please include

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

More then likely the disk drive motor has gone out. Possibly you can get it to work by manually spinning the disk and closing the lid real fast (It takes more energy to start an object moving then it does to keep an object moving).Or for $25 you can hit up the local Pawn Shop or Cash Converters and snag another one. My current PS2 (Slimline, bought new when released) has over 5000 hours on it without the first failure.

Yes I am of the generation that blew into the original NES cartridges to get them to play, sometimes I still do.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users