Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing/Corrupted Hal.dll

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Duncan1892

Duncan1892

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic246381.html ~ Hamluis.

Hi, I've got the same problem as above..

missing or corrupted hal.dll

I booted from cd recovery console and when I get to type Administrator password I cant go further. I type [Enter] but it says: The password is not valid. Please retype the password. After 3 times I can only restart computer by pressing ENTER. There is no password, I knew there wasnt but I booted from Ophcrack to check and indeed it was empty. So... any suggestions??

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2012 - 08:49 PM.
PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:32 AM

Re: missing or corrupt hal.dll error message

Please describe events preceding the problem that may have contributed to it.

Since you are having trouble accessing the XP Recovery Console, let's try running chkdsk another way.

Note: Running chkdksk is the first step to attempt to repair the disk file-system and correct the problem.
Let's use a FreeDOS image for CD that contains a few tools (compiled & hosted by noahdfear).

The first step is carried out using a working computer.
:step1: Download NTBR_CD.exe and create a bootable CD:
  • Save the file to your Desktop and double-click it. This will create a folder named NTBR_CD.
  • Open the folder and locate BurnItCD: Launch it by double-clicking it.
  • When BurnCDCC opens, click Start: The CD tray will open.
  • Insert a blank CD and click OK.
    The tray will close, burn the image and then eject the disk.

:step2: Run chkdsk on the problematic computer.
  • Boot the affected computer with the new CD.
  • Once presented with the boot screen press <ENTER> to boot from the CD.
    After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen.
  • Press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.
    You should now be at the Tool options screen.
  • Type 5 and press <ENTER> to choose the command prompt.
    You will see an X:\> prompt, where X: is the ramdrive (temporary drive space in memory).
  • At the command prompt type the following bolded command:

tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk
  • and press <ENTER>.
    You will be prompted (in ?Dutch) to press <ENTER>.
  • Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
    Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors.
    Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
  • When it completes type menu and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
  • Type 6 to select Quit, and press <ENTER>.
  • Press <Ctrl+Alt+Del> to restart, and remove the CD.
  • Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.
Please let me know if chkdsk reports any errors or corrections made, or if it completes without incident.
***(With thanks to noahdfear for the above tool and instructions.)

Edited by AustrAlien, 25 February 2012 - 03:37 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Duncan1892

Duncan1892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hi AustrAlien

thanks for looking on my problem.

I uninstalled a lot of programs from control panel, add/remove programs that i didnt need anymore. They were lots of small applications for samsung mobile.

After, the laptop would get stuck on hal.dll

I've done what you asked me above. Although I dont recall having partitioned my HD, there was an option to select 1,2 for C:\MININT and D:\WINDOWS so I went with option 2 windows. It did all the checks for drive C:\ and D:\ as well. The first one (FAT32) was fine. In the second one (NTFS) it has found

CHKDSK has discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system.

425014119 KB total disk space
blablah KB in filed
blablah KB in indexes
4 KB in bad sectors
blablah KB in use by the system
blablah KB occupied by the log file
blablah KB available on disk

I booted again without the cd and had the same message hal.dll missing or corrupt.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

Hmmmmm .... I have no idea what might have brought that problem on ... unless it was the the hard drive &/or file-system ("4 KB in bad sectors") suffering some damage. I can't be at all sure of what will fix it either, but the next thing we should do is to have a look at the boot.ini file, which will be at the root of C: like the following ...

C:\boot.ini

It is actually readable as a simple text file. I'll get you to copy the file boot.ini to a flashdrive, and then change the name of the file to boot.txt and then open it with a text editor (Notepad) and copy the contents and paste in your reply.

In order to actually get a copy of the file, I would like you to create a bootable Puppy Linux CD, and boot the computer to the CD. Use the Puppy operating system to locate the file and copy it to a flashdrive. Transfer to a working computer ... or use Puppy ... change the name of the file, copy the contents and post in your reply.

My general instructions for Puppy follow (you won't need all those instructions to do what you need to do at the moment).
  • Download the Slacko Puppy version: It is a recent release and I have found it to work well.
If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Linux Mint the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

----------------
Recent news, November 2011: You may be interested to have a look at the following:

The most popular Linux is...

No it’s not Fedora, openSUSE, or even Ubuntu. It’s Linux Mint.

=================

Edited by AustrAlien, 26 February 2012 - 05:41 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic246381.html ~ Hamluis.

Hi, I've got the same problem as above..

I get to type Administrator password I cant go further. I type [Enter] but it says: The password is not valid.. So... any suggestions??

you hit enter not type "enter" ,do not put in any password leave it blank and hit enter

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 Duncan1892

Duncan1892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

correct caperjac. I hit enter but it was the wrong password :huh:

I am following now australien's advice. already put in a usb drive puppy linux :busy:

I also have on a bootable cd ophcrack by slitaz, a linux environment O/S, as previously I wanted to confirm what the password is.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

correct caperjac. I hit enter but it was the wrong password :huh:

I am following now australien's advice. already put in a usb drive puppy linux :busy:

I also have on a bootable cd ophcrack by slitaz, a linux environment O/S, as previously I wanted to confirm what the password is.

i have been doing it for years,on all types of computer ,my own and those of customers of mine ,and only time it happened like yours,needing an actually admin password was when there was a password to get into windows acct or a bios password ,
good luck with linux

#8 Duncan1892

Duncan1892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

Although my usb drive with Puppy linux works on my working laptop, it doesnt boot on the not working one.
I have successfully copied a txt file from the laptop to the usb drive.

When I tried to boot from the usb drive, it didnt work although I have set BIOS to boot from USB drive/diskette top of the list :wacko: It goes on the message about the hal.dll error.

I will try to burn another cd...

Attached are the puppy linux files on the usb stick.

Attached Files

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

USB drive/diskette top of the list

this is not what it need to say a thumb drive is not consider to be either of those ,what type of usb device are you trying to use .
i have a dell desktop and by using the f11 on bootup i get the option to boot to usb device ,last desktop would not boot to the device ,it had the same bios usb options as yours .

i have used the slaco puppy and have a few more files than you .

Edited by caperjac, 26 February 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#10 Duncan1892

Duncan1892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

On the recovery console I hit enter but password is invalid.

Attached Files

#11 Duncan1892

Duncan1892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

On BIOS there is no password. If I set one, will I be able to do the recovery console??

Posted Image

#12 Duncan1892

Duncan1892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

I am using a USB stick big enough to hold 100KB of puppy linux. I got the files from the website. It works because i tried it on the working one first.

Posted Image

The image is from the affected laptop's BIOS, boot order.

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

I am using a USB stick big enough to hold 100KB of puppy linux. I got the files from the website. It works because i tried it on the working one first.

Posted Image

The image is from the affected laptop's BIOS, boot order.

i had a bios with these option awhile back and it would not boot to any usb device but the floppy one i had

On BIOS there is no password. If I set one, will I be able to do the recovery console??

Posted Image

no, don't do that

#14 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

On the recovery console I hit enter but password is invalid.

bottom line is ,if the computer has no password set ,it should not be looking for one here ,just leave empty and hit enter should be enough ,if it say wrong password when you hit enter with leaving it empty ,then there must a password set somewhere .like maybe the original admin acct created when windows was installed ,i have no other solution ,sorry ,but im sure someone else will

#15 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

just set it to nothing, do not try and make a new password

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users