Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G71-349WM - No serial number found

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LStagg

LStagg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hi All,

This is a new one for me. I have an HP G71-349WM. When I turn the machine on, at the HP splash screen there is a message saying "No serial number found". I looked in the BIOS & both the serial number & model number are no longer listed in the BIOS. I am assuming this is the reason that I am unable to restore my computer using the restore CDs from HP (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit). I ran diagnostics on both the hard drive & the RAM - no issues there. I even tried a brand new hard drive & new RAM - just in case, still no luck. When I try to run the restore CDs, I am getting blue screens. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by LStagg, 24 February 2012 - 05:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

FWIW

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Louis is correct in the messages he dug up.

What happens is they have one motherboard for many different models and the recovery installs the proper drivers and S/W based on what it reads from the BIOS. For my Toshiba the same drivers are for many models. One might have a webcam or bluetooth, Different model number.

I have seen this issue in laptops where the person doing the motherboard swap did not set the proper information into the new motherboard.

When I replaced the Motherboard in my Toshiba I had to enter
Product Name
Part number (AKA Model part Number)
Serial Number
OEM String

If I hadn't done that then the recovery discs would not have worked. What they do is a set of recovery discs fits several models, IMO.
The recovery disc looks nto the Bios and confirms that the OEM string is one that it is for or else it says something like unsupported model.
Then when it finds a supported model it installs drivers and software based on what is proper for the model.

I've seen Dell somethung similar when they were here at work changing a motherboard under warranty.
I understand it works that way for Lenovo too.

You need to push HP, Back up your data before returning it for warranty. They should fix this problem even off warranty. It has to be a manufacturing problem or if they swapped the motherboard they didn't put the information into it.

If you could give them the information and software you could do it yourself. I'm betting they won't as they do not want it out there since it would be an aid to thieves.

Using that a Thief could change the serial number on the stolen motherboard and no evidence so no they won't release it is my guess.

So bottom line it is a HP issue that they need to fix.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 February 2012 - 02:27 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users