Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sandbox question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I am up to date with my Avast. I run YoWindow weather program (excellent program). I have been having a little bit of trouble with my system, for which I am getting help in another forum. I went to open the interface of YoWindow, got a popup from Avast Sandbox that a potentially harmful program was trying to open. Long story short, I added YoWindow to my Sandbox configuration of Sandbox, obviously no knowing what I was doing. There is an issue with YoWindow that the programmers are working on and it involves uninstalling and reinstalling different builds. I have to uninstall the latest build, went through my Control Panel, had to reboot to make the uninstall to be finished. Imagine my surprise to find out that nothing was uninstalled and that YoWindow was still very much active. Looked in Avast to see the Sandbox settings and it seems that it is part of a virtualized thing in Sandbox and, I assume, is not uninstallable. So, my question is: What in the world is virtualization and can I take Yo out of the sandbox?

Wordy Jann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chjony

chjony

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hey jannEd

I am a great lover of avast and I have been using this antivirus for 3 years. At first I used the free version. Whatever, I had little knowledge on Sandbox and I never tried for this. But after that I do understand the function of sandbox. Previously I thought that it is problematic to use the function and i was afraid that might cause problem with regular functioning. Whatever you are in caught of the mystery. I could help little on those issue, But I found the following post would be helpful for you-- http://darktips.com/how-to-open-a-suspected-file-in-a-secure-way/

#3 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hi!! Thank you for the answer. I did figure it out eventually and decided I really only need it if I download a suspect file, which is unlikely since I don't randomly do that!!! Have a great day!

Jann

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Sandboxing is a technique which creates an isolated operating/virtual environment in which applications can be run, tested or installed without permanently modifying the local drive. Sandboxes can be used for security and software development as well as for testing and debugging code. Sandboxing can also be used as a form of malware prevention as described below by virus Bulletin.

A sandbox is a small, sealed-off version of an environment offering a minimal set of services, and is used as a test area. Actions carried out within the sandbox are safely contained within the area and cannot leak out to affect more important parts of a system.

Sandboxing is used within security software to unpack compressed or encrypted files, or to analyse the behaviour of unknown items. Larger-scale sandboxing tools are available for improving the security of computing environments - for example, browser sandboxes seal web browsers off from the host system, preventing malware from damaging it.

Sandbox(ing)

For more specific information about how sandboxes work, please read A Taste of Computer Security: Sandboxing.

Sandboxie is one example of a sandboxing tool.
Getting Started: How to use Sandboxie <- the tutorial has 6 parts

avast! 6 offered several new protection features to include the AutoSandbox. avast! Free Antivirus 6 does not include the full Sandbox module or its enhancements. avast! 7 extends virtualization “sandbox”. For more information about this feature, how it works and how it differs from avast! Pro and avast! Internet Security, please refer to:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Wow, thanks to everyone involved in this thread. I posed a similar question regarding sandbox (not sandboxie)on my system (I don't recall installing this program) which had a bunch of files located in it so, I guess this program has something to do with my security suite. :thumbup2:
Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

#6 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

I think Quietman did an excellent job of explaining this. I was curious when I first posted this because Sandbox wanted to download an update in the Sandbox and I okayed it. I don't remember what happened but I know I didn't like it, that's why I posted the original post!!!

Jann says Have a good week everyone!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users