Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista- Multiple Script Errors and Programs Crashing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mtownfootball44

mtownfootball44

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have Windows Vista 64-bit. I have constantly had problems with my computer (around 2 years old). I recently sent it back into Dell, and instead of fixing the issues with the functionality of the computer, gave me an disc to install IOLO System Mechanic. This program is no even not responding, stating I have script errors and that the address can not be located.

The original problems I have on the computer that have been there for some time (and getting more frequent and limiting of use of the computer include:
1)The following 2 updates have not installed, and every time I turn on my computer, it says that they must be installed, and attempts to at every powerdown. It results in the computer starting with a "Computer was not shut down the right way black screen." The updates mentioned are:
1) Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, and Server 2008 for x64 (KB2656353)
2) Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB2579686)
2)Additionally, when using Internet Explorer my computer has very frequent script errors (often different script error descriptions). When using Internet Explorer, the browser also very frequently syas "Internet Explorer not responding". And it then attempts to restore the webpage(s). The restore works some of the time, but it often just completely crashes.
3) As mentioned before, I also installed the IOLO System Mechanic (which is supposed to help with these problems apparently), but not the System Mechanic will not even work. It attempts to fix some of the problems with the computer (such as defragmenting), but now the System Mechanic also has script errors, preventing it from working, and also comes up with an "unable to locate address" message.
4) There are also certain processes on my computer (such as MOM.exe and CCC.exe) which are remnants from the Catalyst Control Center, that seem to take up the bulk of my computer, but I can not get rid of them (the program is already uninstalled).

I am very frustrated with the overall performance of my computer, despite my best efforts to keep it running efficiently. I would greatly appreciate any help on any of these issues, as well as other suggestions to improve my computer.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hi,

Install this one

Startup Control Panel
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Then go to the Control panel and run it. Make sure classic mode, May be called something else, I don't have Vista running right now, in Windwos 7 it is View by Large Icons.

Really easy to use. Just uncheck anything that you don't want running. If that doesn't do it try msconfig from the run prompt "WINDOWS KEY + R"
and look in services for MOM and CCC.

The Net framework update can be problematic from what I've seen along with one other update.

Run Windows updates and uncheck the two problem updates and then try shutting down as a test.
Are other updates working OK?

I suspect you may have other problems.

You should be doing the following periodically.
Run a uptodate Antivirus scan?
Try running Malwarebytes too just to see what they show. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

If they find anything there is a different forum section you need to visit.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 mtownfootball44

mtownfootball44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thank you for your response. However, when I tried to use the Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)to delete the Catalyst Control Center, the HKLM/Run "StartCCC" can not be turned off. If I click to turn it off or do anything to it, it duplicates itself, remaining active the whole time. Any suggestions on this? And additionally, I ran MalwareBytes and did not find anything wrong in the system.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Try right clicking Computer and choosing Manage
Then on the left side chose Services
Look for any ATI services, right click and choose stop, the right click again and choose properties and Disable

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users