Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dreaded Zen White Screen error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ixcuincle

ixcuincle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

I have a Zen Vision M 30 GB. All of a sudden, it stopped working a few weeks ago (about 2 weeks ago). The error is the white screen when I turn the player on.

I tried to register for the Creative forum, but my account has yet to be approved by a moderator, and it has been several weeks. I have also done research into the error, and there is a mp3 recovery tool that can be used in an attempt to fix the product. Apparently Creative doesn't support the product anymore, since it's "end of life". This means the links to the mp3 recovery tool redirect me to another page on the site, which offers firmware updates. I understand the product is end-of-life...but shouldn't there be that mp3 recovery tool there?

I have also attempted some of the funky solutions suggested on Youtube, to no avail. The white screen persists. I don't want to buy a new Mp3 player, so I really hope this thing isn't dead. I'll plug it into the PC and I can retrieve files off it fine (was able to evacuate all mp3's), I just can't see anything on the player because of that white screen.

If anyone knows of the MP3 Recovery tool, or can link me to the tool that works, please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by ixcuincle, 24 February 2012 - 11:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

I only have some suggestions.
Maybe this link
http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=948&subCatID=958&prodID=16002&prodName=ZEN Vision:M 30GB&subCatName=MP3 Players&CatName=Entertainment+Devices+%2f+MP3+Players&VARSET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_16002,VARSET=CategoryID:948

You need to create an account to see the tools.
myZenChecker, Tools Guide To
http://forums.mycreativefansite.com/member-area/

Corrupt Display
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?url=http://ask.creative.com:80/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.exe/,/?St=297,E=0000000002013356100,K=9929,Sxi=19,Answer26782=obj(26782):obj(26784)
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the effort, I've tried to reset the display, but I still get the white screen.

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

I assume that when you did the reset you went right to the white screen.

Do you have a wall (AC) charger for the ZVM? I recently fetched mine from a drawer (I'm planning to swap a Compact Flash card for the hard drive) and it gave me the white screen. Two days on a computer USB port didn't help, but after spending the night on the wall charger it's fine. One of the many reasons you can get the white screen is a dead battery.

Anyway, the battery is the easiest cause to check (and possibly rule out) so that should be your first step. For as long as it has been since Creative made ZVMs your battery could be failing.

It's important to note that Creative designed the charging circuit to limit your recharger options. You either have to use an actual computer USB port or a charger specifically designed for their players. Obviously they would prefer you buy theirs, for about $30, but there are much cheaper 3rd party chargers now available at places like Amazon. Just make sure the charger specifically says it will work with a ZVM (and I'd recommend making sure there is some feedback indicating that it really does).

Sorry, almost forgot. There is a specific forum for the Creative Zen Vision:M at Anythingbutipod. It doesn't get too much traffic these days, but it does still get some attention. In my experience it's the best source for owner advice. My second choice would be the forums at Epizenter, but traffic there has dropped off considerably as well.

I was never impressed by the forums at Creative, but I do still have an account there and log in (very) infrequently. What little traffic they still have tends to center on their very latest products across all lines -- players, and also sound cards, speaker systems, headphones, etc.

And, finally, you can get to the archived ZVM updates and "knowledge base" <HERE>.

It looks like the Creative "MP3 Recovery Tool" -- which worked for a very large portion of their product line -- has been completely removed from their site.

Edited by tg1911, 27 February 2012 - 09:20 AM.
Merged 3 individual posts into 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users