Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Find Hardware After Clean Install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LoTDance

LoTDance

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

I recently completed a clean install of Windows 7 on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite l655-s5150). However, I am unable to update my drivers as my computer cannot identify most of my hardware.
Under device manager it has "Other Devices" listed as "Ethernet Controller", "Network Controller", and "PCI Simple Communications Controller". All three have a yellow exclamation mark next to them and Manufacturer: Unknown.

Any advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

Go to Toshiba Support, click on the Download tab and enter your system details. Download and install the chipset drivers and then the remaining items should be recognised. You can then download and install the other missing drivers if Windows does not install them automatically.

#3 LoTDance

LoTDance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately that didn't seem to make any difference.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

Be sure to download and install the individual driver for the LAN adapter.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=2861831&rpn=PSK2CU&modelFilter=L655-S5150&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663#

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Don't forget to install all the Toshiba packages

Such as the
Toshiba Value Added Package
Toshiba HW Setup Utility

The Toshiba laptops work best with all the Toshiba Software and Utiltiies installed.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 LoTDance

LoTDance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Well. Some of that worked. I was able to get my Ethernet adapter working, which makes things more convenient.

I still only have the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. Among a few other items that still remains to be recognized.

#7 LoTDance

LoTDance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

Update:
I was able to connect to Windows Update which got me the drivers I needed for Wifi.
But the graphics problem still remains.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

You really should be going to the Toshiba website for drivers.
They are the best source and their website does have all the drivers for your laptop.

Go here, https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/pubLogin.jsp do not bother creating an account as it is only needed for their forums.

Choose the Download button and select your laptop.
Select your Windows and whether 32 bit or 64 bit.
To download click on the driver needed, and a popup window will appear with the download information such as any needs to installed first and link to download and instructions to install. Juct close the popup to be back on the download section.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 25 February 2012 - 12:05 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 LoTDance

LoTDance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

It worked beautifully. Thank you so much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users