Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

screen seems to be very very faded

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

Hello all, I am assisting a friend with her Dell Vostro 1000 laptop. Upon boot you can very, very faintly see the AMD logo, but nothing else. External monitor works well. I did some reading online and am thinking that the issue is the back light. But someone else said something about an "inverter", which when googles would show lines. Are there any tests, or ways to tell what would be the issue for sure? She would like not to have to take it to a computer repair shop.
Thanks
Scott

2nd thought. I can get a screen with backlight & inverter pretty cheap, but when looking at the different 'sizes' how do I tell if the old one is 1280x800 or 1440x900??

I am thinking of ordering from this place (http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Dell/VOSTRO~1000/) it is the top one, I called and they are out of Canada, and it includes back light, and inverter, if anyone knows of a better place/price, your suggestions are welcome!!

Edited by snglnluvnit, 24 February 2012 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Since you say a external monitor works, why not just go to display in the control panel and see what the maximum supported resolution is. That will tell you what panel you have.

The other option is Open screen up and see the part number or go to www.dell.com
on the dell website you can go to product support at the bottom of the page
select "Support for Home users"
Enter your service tag off of the bottom of the Laptop.
Then select "System Configuration"
Then select "Original Configuration", Components
Scroll down and you will see the Screen Information as well as many other parts information.

Not to mention if you were not sure of warranty or not it will show there under the wartranty tab.

Good Luck

FWIW the backlight is what shines through the LCD screen as the light source. The inverter is what provides the proper power for the little tiny flourescent bulb known as the backlight.

If either one is bad the screen will be very hard to see even if you shine a light into it.

Be careful changing the screen, The cable is most likely held onto the screen by squeeze tabs to release and a tape to be sure. The cable is fairly delicate.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

Thank you rotor123, I have ordered part, comes with inverter, screen, and backlight already assembled, new plus 3yr warranty. I appreciate your assistance!! I am going to consider this topic closed/solved, just not sure how to mark it as such..lol..
Scott

Edited by snglnluvnit, 24 February 2012 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users