Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Absurd RAM Usage

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Khellendros

Khellendros

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

This computer has a lot of issues with running slowly and freezing up occasionally. I assume this is because, according to Task Manager, my RAM usage is always incredibly high. When it's going the slowest, it always shows at 99% usage, and even at other times it's ridiculously high. The thing is though...there's nothing using it. As you can see here:

Posted Image

My processes are only using up a gig or so of RAM total when I have six...so how exactly is it at 95% usage? It makes no sense.

Can anyone help me out here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Click the start orb and type in resource monitor. When it shows up in the search results, click it.

Maximize the window, click on the memory tab, sort the list by Working Set and post a screenshot.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Posted Image

#4 TroubleshootingFiend

TroubleshootingFiend

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

The information at this location sounds relevant. (go to the THINGS TO TRY section)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610

#5 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Looking at all of that, I'm surprised that you're surprised. You're running both Firefox and Chrome at the same time (apparently with a lot of tabs and/or extensions running in each), at least 3 torrent or torrent-related programs, and Winamp.

That right there is pushing 3GB. Figure in another 1.5-2GB for the OS and the rest for utilites. Your usage is pretty much what you've made it to be.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#6 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

The issue is that it's not saying those programs are taking up anywhere near that amount of memory. I would think if the programs were the cause then it would be saying they were using more? That's why I'm confused. When you add up the RAM usage shown for those then it's not even two gigs worth, never mind six.

In any case, it seems to fluctuate wildly with these same programs all running. It's running fine one second and the next it's taking three minutes to load an explorer window.

#7 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

The information at this location sounds relevant. (go to the THINGS TO TRY section)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610

None of those applied.

#8 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

By default, Task Manager just tells you what memory each process uses exclusively (Private Working Set). Processes have a non-private working set that can ballon to a much larger value that TM won't report. Example:

Posted Image

In Task Manager, click View > Select Columns.
Check the Memory - Working Set and Memory - Peak Working Set boxes.

That will get you a little closer to what Resource Monitor will tell you.

Alternatively, just use Resource Monitor instead of Task Manager to keep track of memory usage.

Edited by LucheLibre, 24 February 2012 - 05:11 PM.

~ LL ~

#9 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

The resource monitor shows the same thing though. Processes are only using up about 2 gigs. I didn't used to have these slowdowns and freezes either until the past few months, and I've been running all these same programs for years.

#10 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

How do you figure?

Posted Image

Those first 9 processes alone use over 2GB. There are over 100 others beyond that.

Edit: Don't misunderstand me, I don't discount the possibility of something being wrong. But we need to be on the same page before we can go hunting for a particular problem.

Edited by LucheLibre, 24 February 2012 - 05:23 PM.

~ LL ~

#11 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Oh, don't worry. I'm not taking any offense or anything. It just didn't seem to me like those would add up to anywhere near 6 gigs. I thought you may be right so I just counted them all up. They actually added up to about 3,546,000 KB, so only 3.38 GB. It was showing 92% usage, so...that's 5.52. So...seems to be 2.14 unaccounted for then. Perhaps that's just used up by the OS and isn't shown or something?

In any case, these slowdowns are rather strange. It gets really bad right after I install a game. I know it would make sense for it to get a lot slower while something is installing, but not to then stay slow after the install for ages. I usually have to restart to get things working again. Also, is it possible that disk caches could be the issue here? I seem to get lesser problems when I disable those on my programs. I think my antivirus/firewall may be trying to scan all this activity and may be the cause of the slowdowns as well?

Edited by Khellendros, 24 February 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#12 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Let's take a look at a Process Explorer list.

Use Process Explorer to provide an overview of your running processes.

• Download the .zip file and extract its contents to your desktop.
    Follow these instructions if you are not familiar with how to extract files from a .zip file.
  • Double-click procexp.exe.
    • For Vista/7 users: Click File > Show Details for All Processes. Process Explorer will restart.
  • Click View > Select Columns and check the Command Line box. Click OK.
  • Try to reproduce the problematic behavior. Otherwise, use the computer normally until it happens on its own.
    • When you see the problem beginning to happen, click the Process Explorer taskbar button and immediately press the Space Bar to pause the program.
      Do not wait for the program window to appear before pressing the Space Bar.
  • Click File > Save As.... Save to your desktop as procexp.txt.
  • In this thread, click Add Reply and use the Attachments section to attach the .txt file to your next reply.
Note: Do not unpause or exit Process Explorer unless directed to.
==========================================

~ LL ~

#13 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

My apologies for the delay. It doesn't slow down too often and I didn't happen to have the explorer running most of the times it did.

I have two of the txts now that I'll attach though. It was really horrible when I saved the first one. I didn't have the explorer running already, but I ran it during the slowdown. It took over five minutes to finally come up, and I just paused it then and saved it. I'm not sure if that will be helpful since it wasn't running prior, but things were still running really slow at the time it eventually opened.

The computer wasn't going quite as slow when I took the second one, but it was still bad and I already had it open that time.

I hope they are of some use in telling what the problem is...

Attached Files

Edited by Khellendros, 10 March 2012 - 07:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users