Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I7 3930K

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi,

It has been two years since I built the I7-930 system I use for my main computer.

In anticipation of my income tax refund and thinking about upgrading.....

An I7 3930X looks like a decent performer. However I gather they put out a lot of heat and was wondering if anybody on here had built and used one yet? This would be for my video hobby where the faster the CPU the better.

No gaming but a decent NVidia card to use CUDA assist.

I would probably go with ASUS or Intel motherboard and the Intel Cooling solution or maybe water. Whatever would be quieter.

Still toying with the idea since that CPU seems to be in short supply.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2012 - 08:03 AM.
Moved to System Building from Internal Hardware.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

I have skipped buying anything new for the time being. I'm saving my $$$ for the ivy bridge cpus.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

I personally, have never seen one (nor plan to purchase one anytime soon unless I get a special request for one, Im sort of an AMD fanboy) however the reviews Im seeing are all positive for it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

The reviews are looking good. I just worry about the heat it is supposed to generate.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

Roger, you're scaring me...

It has been two years since I built the I7-930 system I use for my main computer.

Me too.

My first Computer had a Whopping 16K of memory @ 0.89MHz
My first hard drive held 20 Megabytes and never got filled up.

Me too.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 28 February 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Even stranger, Also in NJ.

167 @ June 2015

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

I wouldnt be to concerned about heat, thats always an easy solution between a well ventilated case and aftermarket cooling that is an easy problem to take care of. Add in intels failsafes to prevent frying themselves.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

Even stranger, Also in NJ.

If you get one, check Micro-Center in Paterson. They often have huge deals for CPU's 'in store pick up only' (changes all the time so keep checking and call ahead to have one held for up to 24 hours). I got my 930 for $175 on a crazy sale when they first came out. It was worth driving over an hour to get there.

James

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

You could use the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 cooler and it is one monster of a cooler. It's really large but it does one heck of a job cooling the cpu down and it's really quiet. It beats or matches the performance of a Corsair H100. Also it's cheaper to buy the Noctua.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

If you have experience with a 930, then you know about what to expect with a 3930K. Both have 130 watt TDPs. The 3930K has better efficiency/power gating, so it should actually pull less juice and run a bit cooler for a given workload.

I have been on an overclocked 920 now for a long time, and I feel the upgrade itch. I use my rig mainly for gaming, so the difference between a 920 at 3.7ghz, and a 3930K stock isn't really noticable. I am trying to hold off until the next Intel CPU stepping arrives, and see what the successor to X79 offers(more native SATA3 and an actual Intel USB3 controller). From the data I have seen, the Ivy Bridge CPUs are going to be 7-10% faster per core than current offerings. Unless you applications are heavily multithreaded, and optimized for 6 cores, those new Socket 1155 CPUs are going to spank Socket 2011 soon for a lot less money.

Gotta say, video processing/rendering is where the new CPUs shine compared to old 920s and 930s.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#11 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hi James,

Patterson is at least a 1 hour drive. It has been many years 16+ since I have been up there. At that time Patterson wasn't the greatest area. better than Newark and Camden of course.

If you have experience with a 930, then you know about what to expect with a 3930K. Both have 130 watt TDPs. The 3930K has better efficiency/power gating, so it should actually pull less juice and run a bit cooler for a given workload.

Gotta say, video processing/rendering is where the new CPUs shine compared to old 920s and 930s.

I hadn't even thought about the TDP on the 930....

If Intel could ship it in a retail box with a Intel HSF assembly, why can't they do the same for the 3930X?

Maybe it does put out that much more heat and the 930 was not really pushing out that much heat and the 3930X does.

Or maybe the new design doesn't really use 130W but I suspect it does and that the 930 in the real world only uses 2/3 the TDP of the new design.

I didn't bother to overclock, I use the stock cooler and never even hear the fan.

I was thinking they do need a better chipset than the X79 in terms of features.

Working with HD video captures is why I have been getting the upgrade itch.

167 @ June 2015

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

Patterson is at least a 1 hour drive. It has been many years 16+ since I have been up there. At that time Patterson wasn't the greatest area. better than Newark and Camden of course.

I hadn't been there in over 30 years (it was really bad back then) and I was pleasantly surprised. It was clean and I saw no graffiti, people were friendly and didn't give me that 'on guard' feeling that I still get on the occasional jaunt to Camden and some parts of Philly.

James

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Pro-Clockers did a review of the Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 Socket 2011 Motherboard.

This definitely fits what I'm looking for in my next build if I go with an I7 3930k but I'm still waiting to see what kind of cooling options come out for it. Quiet cooling is very important to me. A lot of times, I have to maintain servers in the middle of the night and I end up sleeping on a cot in my office to avoid disturbing my family.

James

#14 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Quiet is very important since the computer sits next to the TV used for its display as well as TV.

they must be very popular or Intel is having production problems as Newegg still says OUT OF STOCK, When ever I look to see.

Family members could sleep through a explosion. In fact my brother did when a building near him blew up one year.
Everybody else can sleep in a car, bus, train, plane etc.

When I fire up a 1U rackmount and the fans start screaming like a Banshee I want to reach for earplugs.

Fortunately for me the one server by me is no louder than the fan in the Netgear 24 Port switch by me.

That is the one advantage of name brand computers, they are always silent.

Cheers
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users