Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email being send from account without my permission

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 john_dope

john_dope

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hi all,

My inbox is being filled with failed outgoing email attempts (200 in the last two days). Sometimes the emails are being send to bad address and sometimes it states the receivers' spam filter are rejecting it. I am with rogers/yahoo. Is this malware on my end?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

I have seen this happen a couple times before with my clients. Typically one of two scenarios is happening.

Firstly, somehow your account password has become compromised and they spammer is logging in and trying to send mail directly from your account or secondly they are spoofing your email, meaning that they are sending spam out from another server somewhere and using your email address as the address it is coming from hence when the messages fail and the bounce back is sent, you receive it in your mailbox.

I would change your email password just to be on the safe side and usually the failed emails will stop after a few days.

Also, I would suggest you do a full virus scan of your computer as well as scan your computer for any malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users