Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

taskbar tabs for my many firefox windows shift

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ricknorth

ricknorth

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hi,
I have about a dozen Firefox tabs open on my taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Win7 64bit on Dell E6510. But some of them will shift position on the taskbar on their own. Happens all the time, and it's very aggravating because I'm needing to be able to hit them quickly and often and need to have them stay in the expected position. Can't afford the time to hunt around for them. For example finance.yahoo.com will often move itself to the far right. Even BigCharts.com is doing this now. None of my searches on the web can answer how to stop this. It's easy to grab/drag a tab window for another application around on the taskbar, but within the single application of Firefox this doesn't work. Why/how are these windows shifting around? This never happens on my other laptop, a WinXP SP3 machine. Thanks for your suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

If you don't mind me asking, and not trying to insult you, but why have you chosen to have a dozen single instances of Firefox open rather than using the tab feature built into Firefox. I typically have anywhere between 3 and 15 tabs open in Firefox but only one icon down in my taskbar.

I think that if you try it that way it will solve your issue of them moving around since there will only be one instance of Firefox open and you can quickly identify which tab is which page by looking at the heading.

Additionally Firefox offers the ability to move the tabs around so you can easily organize the most important ones.

to open a new tab in Firefox click the plus sign, also called the "New Tab" button, located at the end of the row of tabs on the top, far-right side of your browser window. A new tab appears.

Hope this helps and hopefully this can make things a little bit easier for you.

Good Luck

#3 ricknorth

ricknorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

here's why I don't like tabs - it turns it into a two-step process to switch between non-browser windows and my many browser tabs. I first have to click on the firefox window, then go to the proper tab within the window. In WinXP I don't have to do this - everything is in one place - on the taskbar, and in the order that I open them and they STAY in that order. Why can't MS make a new Windows OS which is actually more ENJOYable to use, instead of adding new headaches? Is it any wonder so many windows users hated to upgrade to Vista, and now on this 64 bit version so many of my abilities to use quick DOS commands in the CMD window are gone as well (don't ask -)..... If there's a solution to my original question, it would sure be great to know. If not, I just come one step closer to abandoning PC's and going Mac, I suppose.

#4 TroubleshootingFiend

TroubleshootingFiend

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Do you have your taskbar buttons set to "Never Combine" or are you talking about the order of the window previews?

#5 ricknorth

ricknorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:34 AM

yes. It's set to 'never combine', and I'm wanting the order of the windows to stay fixed in the order in which I open them. It's almost as if some websites have coding which commandeers this choice and puts them farther to the right sometimes when you click on it and work within that website. This only happens on my Win7 64bit laptop running the latest Firefox, it does not happen with the latest Firefox running on my WinXP machine.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Hi

I saw something about this problem back when Windows 7 was first released. I tried to search for it to see if there was a solution now but I could not find it.

Even though I don't have an answer. I do have somewhat of an explanation and maybe a workaround.

Though you have chosen to "Never Combine" you may have noticed that if you try to drag one of the multiple Firefox tabs to a different place on the taskbar, it drags all of the Firefox tabs as a group. So while they are not "Combined" they are still "Grouped". The problem that you seem to be having is that Windows gives you no way to customize the order in which they are "Grouped". It keeps grouping based on some default rule (which you can't change) that causes them to move when some property (time last modified, all old tabs closed, new form submitted, I don't know) changes in an individual Firefox window.

The reason I looked into this for you tonight was that I figured by now there would be at least a third party program to help do this but surprisingly, I found none.

There may be a registry key or it is hardcoded into a Windows system file for some reason that we don't know.

If you need to see the programs quickly to react effectively to changing situations, you might be able to find a custom sidebar gadget that does it or you could open the Task Manager, check OPTIONS>ALWAYS ON TOP, uncheck OPTIONS>MINIMIZE ON USE and click on the APPLICATIONS tab and size it so you can see all your Firefox page titles and place it on a part of your screen where it does not block your work too badly. Then double-click on whichever Firefox window you want to open when you need it and you should be able to fire through them quickly. You can't change the order but you can read the page title easily.

Hope this helps
James

#7 ricknorth

ricknorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for your efforts. Yeah, you'd think Windows or someone would have a solution for this. You're only confirming my own efforts; that there isn't one. Yet. 100,000 apps for Apple computers, but something really obvious like this in WinBlows and..... if only my college would standardize on another platform.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users