Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zakisbak

zakisbak

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Hi.
I have just bought a second hand external hard drive and connected it to my PC via a usb socket.

My PC does not recognize it.

It does not show in Device Manager.

It is a Hitachi Deskstar,250GB capacity,Model No. HDT725025VLAT80.

My PC specs :

AMD Athlon X2 250 3 Ghz

4GB RAM

NVidia GTS250 1GB

XP PRO SP3

Do I need to download a driver to make the external hard drive work?
If so,I seem to have only found one site and that seems to want me to install some Norton programme that I don't want.

Thanks in advance,(I will be out for several hours after initial posting.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hi

It sounds like an external enclosure is being used that does not match the Hitachi drive.

Was it originally purchased as a complete package from the manufacturer or did the original owner buy the enclosure and the drive separately?

Are you sure that it worked for the original owner or did they have trouble with it too?

The reason I ask is that some harddrives require more power than the third party enclosures provide them. In that case the options are to try a new enclosure or verify that the enclosure is providing enough power to the drive or remove the drive from the enclosure altogether and install it internally into your computer.

Hope this helps
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users