Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boggy ComputeróRAM Upgrade Time??

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 bikerbill

bikerbill

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

I have a Dell Dimension E510 with a 250 GB hard drive, 1 GB DDR2 533 MHz RAM, and a 2.8 GHz processor. Like me, itís been steadily getting slower with time. For some time now Iíve been getting ďHigh Memory Usage by Internet ExplorerĒ pop-ups from Norton. I downloaded Process Explorer. With just a few Internet Explorer connections open, Outlook Express, and maybe MS Word my physical memory usage runs in the eighty to high ninety percent range. So I guess that explains the high memory usage comment. I was surprised to find I had 62 processes running but most seem recognizable (various MS stuff, Java, Norton, iTunes, etc). The memory hog is indeed IE (many hundred MB).

It seems like I need to buy some additional RAM. Dellís website says I need to add memory cards in pairs (dual channel memory). Does it pay to add two 1 GB modules or just do two 512 MB modules? I am not a power user by any means (no gaming, video editing, CAD programs).

I uninstalled several dozen unused programs. The hard drive is only about one third full. I also need to look at my start up tray and see if I can get rid of some stuff there. But is adding RAM the direction I need to go here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

By upgrading the ram to 2GB or more, you will be able to multi task much more smoothly, so it would worth the upgrade. Most systems nowadays has 4GB of ram or more.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 bikerbill

bikerbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

Cryptodan,

I followed your instructions and here is the result: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3Uzy0AifMtEaE8NLmmMytJQ

I'm surprised to see my RAM listed as 266 MHz. I had the system unit open recently to re-install my Ethernet network adapter and noticed the memory sticks are listed as 533 MHz. Why are they running at half speed?

Where do I go from here?

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

To be fair it sounds like a combination of too many background processes, and a borderline amount of memory. On a fresh boot,how many processes are running, how much memory is being used with no active programs running? Do you have a program causing a memory leak?

I ran a low end HP lappy with a single core Turion/1gig mem/XP Media Center up until a couple months ago and it ran great as long as I weeded out the background garbage that was eating CPU time and memory. The main choke point was the CPU, 1gig of RAM wasn't a choke point on it. I like to see <35 processes running in XP at idle. Lots of stuff (ie Java updater/HP updater) just do not need to run at startup. Everytime you install hardware/software there is a good chance it adds a background process that does little but eat cpu and memory. You absolutely have the right idea going through startup/msconfig and seeing what is loading unnecessarily.

Not trying to talk you out of buying new memory. 2 gig would indeed be happy.

Edited by dpunisher, 24 February 2012 - 11:33 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

For starters I would remove Norton, and install something that is a little bit more light weight. You can remove Norton via the Norton Removal Tool and install something like MSE, Avast, or AVG.

#7 bikerbill

bikerbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

OK, after a fresh boot I have 58 processes running and physical memory usage is around 67% of 1 GB. That just doesn't seem right--I'm using two thirds of my memory just at idle! The heavy hitters are iexplore.exe (172K and 20K), java.exe (30K), DSagnt.exe (18K), svchost.exe (30K, 3K, 3K), iTunesHelper.exe (15K), ehrecvr.exe (15K), explore (32K), and AppleMobileDeviceService.exe (13K). The rest is a lot of nickel and dime stuff, but it certainly adds up.

msconfig shows 27 items in my start up list. I think I can uncheck the following: QTTask for Quick Time, MusicMatch mm_tray, Reader_sl for Adobe Reader 8.0, jusched for Java, real sched for real player, and iTunesHelper. Any reason I shouldn't take those out of my start up list?

#8 PcRc

PcRc

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

OK, after a fresh boot I have 58 processes running and physical memory usage is around 67% of 1 GB. That just doesn't seem right--I'm using two thirds of my memory just at idle! The heavy hitters are iexplore.exe (172K and 20K), java.exe (30K), DSagnt.exe (18K), svchost.exe (30K, 3K, 3K), iTunesHelper.exe (15K), ehrecvr.exe (15K), explore (32K), and AppleMobileDeviceService.exe (13K). The rest is a lot of nickel and dime stuff, but it certainly adds up.

msconfig shows 27 items in my start up list. I think I can uncheck the following: QTTask for Quick Time, MusicMatch mm_tray, Reader_sl for Adobe Reader 8.0, jusched for Java, real sched for real player, and iTunesHelper. Any reason I shouldn't take those out of my start up list?

58 Processes is fairly high. I'm on my old Dell Dimension 4600 (512mb ram) and it has 28.

Uncheck all of those you said. I only have 3 things checked in my startup; NvCPL (RunDDL32.exe), MSSECES (MSE.exe), Ctfmon (MS Office).

I agree with Cryptodan, I've always hated Norton... It laggs down your computer so much. Use a alternative like Microsoft Security essentials, or Avast! Free. If willing to pay, BitDefender has been my 1st choice.

Remove some programs you no longer need. Run CCleaner.

Do a Malware/Adware/Spyware scan too, Norton may not catch all of it.
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Malwarebytes-AntiMalware/1186760019/1

Remove some IE addons too, only toolbar I have when I use IE is Google's.

If all doesn't help, then upgrade your ram.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

A Fresh boot with nothing loaded should not be showing iexplore.exe. If you didn't start iexplore I'd want to know what did.

You could uninstall the Dell support agent unless you use it. DSagnt.exe

My XP Pro shows Processes: 32, CPU Usage: 0%, and Commit Charge: 332M / 3678M
My Windows 7 Pro shows Processes: 56, CPU usage:1%, Physical Memory: 41%

The win7 is with IE9 running and all kinds of Toshiba processes running that XP Pro doesn't have need for.

Presuming that the E510 is XP and not Vista then it is likely XP MCE and has some processes not in XP Pro.

If it is running Vista or Windows 7 then it is undermemoried.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

No installation required.

Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.

Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.

You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

Compliments of Broni

#11 bikerbill

bikerbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

I did as you said but the saved file lost all of its formatting. I guess that's what happens when you create a .txt file. I could not find a way to attach the file to this message. Can I just do a cut and paste?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:39 AM

Just copy and paste the results into your next post.

#13 bikerbill

bikerbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

Here's the Autoruns file:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" "" "" ""
+ "APSDaemon" "Apple Push" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\common files\apple\apple application support\apsdaemon.exe"
+ "ATIPTA" "ATI Desktop Control Panel" "ATI Technologies, Inc." "c:\program files\ati technologies\ati control panel\atiptaxx.exe"
+ "CTDVDDET" "CTDVDDET" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\sbaudigy2zs\dvdaudio\ctdvddet.exe"
+ "CTSysVol" "CTSysVol.exe" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\sbaudigy2zs\surround mixer\ctsysvol.exe"
+ "DellSupportCenter" "Dell Support Center Updates" "SupportSoft, Inc." "c:\program files\dell support center\bin\sprtcmd.exe"
+ "DLA" "Drive Letter Access Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\dla\dlactrlw.exe"
+ "dscactivate" " " " " "c:\program files\dell support center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
+ "Google Desktop Search" "" "" "c:\program files\google\google desktop search\googledesktop.exe"
+ "IOGEAR Auto Printer Sharing Switch" "" "" "c:\program files\iogear auto printer sharing switch\autoprt.exe"
+ "ISUSPM Startup" "InstallShield Update Service Update Manager" "InstallShield Software Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\installshield\updateservice\isuspm.exe"
+ "ISUSScheduler" "InstallShield Update Service Scheduler" "InstallShield Software Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\installshield\updateservice\issch.exe"
+ "LanguageMonitor" "Oki Printer Driver Languege Monitor Support AP" "Oki Data Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\oplmsb01.exe"
+ "UpdReg" "Creative UpdReg" "Creative Technology Ltd." "c:\windows\updreg.exe"
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" "" "" ""
+ "Digital Line Detect.lnk" "Digital Line Detection" "BVRP Software" "c:\program files\digital line detect\dlg.exe"
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "" "" ""
+ "Address Book 6" "Outlook Express Setup Library" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\outlook express\setup50.exe"
+ "Microsoft Outlook Express 6" "Outlook Express Setup Library" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\outlook express\setup50.exe"
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" "" "" ""
+ "DellSupport" "Dell Support" "Gteko Ltd." "c:\program files\dellsupport\dsagnt.exe"
+ "DellSupportCenter" "Dell Support Center Updates" "SupportSoft, Inc." "c:\program files\dell support center\bin\sprtcmd.exe"
+ "MSMSGS" "Windows Messenger" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe"
+ "swg" "GoogleToolbarNotifier" "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\googletoolbarnotifier\googletoolbarnotifier.exe"
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Protocols\Filter" "" "" ""
+ "text/xml" "Microsoft Office XML MIME Filter" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\office11\msoxmlmf.dll"
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Protocols\Handler" "" "" ""
+ "mso-offdap11" "Microsoft Office Web Components 2003" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web components\11\owc11.dll"
"HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components" "" "" ""
+ "0" "" "" "File not found: About:Home"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\*\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "BUContextMenu" "Backup Shell" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\bushell.dll"
+ "Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IEContextMenu" "Symantec Shared Component Shell Extension Module" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\navshext.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\*\ShellEx\PropertySheetHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "BuPropertySheet" "Backup Shell" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\bushell.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\AllFileSystemObjects\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "MBAMShlExt" "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" "Malwarebytes Corporation" "c:\program files\malwarebytes' anti-malware\mbamext.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\Shellex\ColumnHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "PDF Shell Extension" "PDF Shell Extension" "Adobe Systems, Inc." "c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\pdfshell.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
+ "BUContextMenu" "Backup Shell" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\bushell.dll"
+ "MBAMShlExt" "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" "Malwarebytes Corporation" "c:\program files\malwarebytes' anti-malware\mbamext.dll"
+ "Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IEContextMenu" "Symantec Shared Component Shell Extension Module" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\navshext.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers" "" "" ""
+ "OverlayExcluded" "Backup Shell" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\bushell.dll"
+ "OverlayPending" "Backup Shell" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\bushell.dll"
+ "OverlayProtected" "Backup Shell" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\bushell.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects" "" "" ""
+ "CBrowserHelperObject Object" "BAE.dll" "Dell Inc." "c:\program files\bae\bae.dll"
+ "DriveLetterAccess" "Drive Letter Access Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\dla\dlashx_w.dll"
+ "Google Toolbar Helper" "Google Toolbar" "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\google toolbar\googletoolbar_32.dll"
+ "Google Toolbar Notifier BHO" "GoogleToolbarNotifier" "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\googletoolbarnotifier\5.7.7227.1100\swg.dll"
+ "Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper" "Java™ Platform SE binary" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll"
+ "JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class" "Java™ Quick Starter binary" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll"
+ "RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer" "RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin" "RealPlayer" "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\real\realplayer\browserrecordplugin\ie\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll"
+ "SSVHelper Class" "Java™ Platform SE binary" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll"
+ "Symantec Intrusion Prevention" "IPS Browser Helper DLL" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\ips\ipsbho.dll"
+ "Symantec NCO BHO" "coIEPlugIn" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\coieplg.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar" "" "" ""
+ "Google Toolbar" "Google Toolbar" "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\google toolbar\googletoolbar_32.dll"
+ "Norton Toolbar" "coIEPlugIn" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\coieplg.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions" "" "" ""
+ "Windows Messenger" "Windows Messenger" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe"
"Task Scheduler" "" "" ""
+ "AppleSoftwareUpdate.job" "Apple Software Update" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\apple software update\softwareupdate.exe"
+ "GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore.job" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\update\googleupdate.exe"
+ "GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA.job" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\update\googleupdate.exe"
+ "nlrxvmqk.job" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cbXOefeb.dll"
+ "RealUpgradeLogonTaskS-1-5-21-1632782345-3233151831-385484067-1005.job" "RealUpgrade Launcher" "RealNetworks, Inc." "c:\program files\real\realupgrade\realupgrade.exe"
+ "RealUpgradeScheduledTaskS-1-5-21-1632782345-3233151831-385484067-1005.job" "RealUpgrade Launcher" "RealNetworks, Inc." "c:\program files\real\realupgrade\realupgrade.exe"
"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services" "" "" ""
+ "Apple Mobile Device" "Provides the interface to Apple mobile devices." "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\common files\apple\mobile device support\applemobiledeviceservice.exe"
+ "Ati HotKey Poller" "ATI External Event Utility EXE Module" "ATI Technologies Inc." "c:\windows\system32\ati2evxx.exe"
+ "Bonjour Service" "Enables hardware devices and software services to automatically configure themselves on the network and advertise their presence." "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsresponder.exe"
+ "C-DillaCdaC11BA" "Macrovision RTS Service" "Macrovision" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdac11ba.exe"
+ "CCALib8" "Canon Camera Access Library 8" "Canon Inc." "c:\program files\canon\cal\calmain.exe"
+ "Creative Service for CDROM Access" "Creative Service for CDROM Access" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\ctsvccda.exe"
+ "DSBrokerService" "Gteko BrkrSvc Application" "" "c:\program files\dellsupport\brkrsvc.exe"
+ "gupdate" "Keeps your Google software up to date. If this service is disabled or stopped, your Google software will not be kept up to date, meaning security vulnerabilities that may arise cannot be fixed and features may not work. This service uninstalls itself when there is no Google software using it." "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\update\googleupdate.exe"
+ "gupdatem" "Keeps your Google software up to date. If this service is disabled or stopped, your Google software will not be kept up to date, meaning security vulnerabilities that may arise cannot be fixed and features may not work. This service uninstalls itself when there is no Google software using it." "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\update\googleupdate.exe"
+ "gusvc" "Google Updater keeps your Google software up to date. If Google Updater Service is disabled or stopped, your Google software will not be kept up to date, meaning security vulnerabilities that may arise cannot be fixed and features may not work." "Google" "c:\program files\google\common\google updater\googleupdaterservice.exe"
+ "IntuitUpdateService" "Helps Intuit applications automatically update themselves." "Intuit Inc." "c:\program files\common files\intuit\update service\intuitupdateservice.exe"
+ "iPod Service" "iPod hardware management services" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\ipod\bin\ipodservice.exe"
+ "JavaQuickStarterService" "Prefetches JRE files for faster startup of Java applets and applications" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe"
+ "LinksysUpdater" "Linksys Updater" "" "c:\program files\linksys\linksys updater\bin\linksysupdater.exe"
+ "N360" "Norton Security Suite" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\norton security suite\engine\5.2.0.13\ccsvchst.exe"
+ "NetSvc" "Supports Intel® PROSet for Wired Connections." "Intel® Corporation" "c:\program files\intel\prosetwired\ncs\sync\netsvc.exe"
+ "ose" "Saves installation files used for updates and repairs and is required for the downloading of Setup updates and Watson error reports." "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\source engine\ose.exe"
+ "sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter" "SupportSoft Sprocket Service" "SupportSoft, Inc." "c:\program files\dell support center\bin\sprtsvc.exe"
+ "WMPNetworkSvc" "Shares Windows Media Player libraries to other networked players and media devices using Universal Plug and Play" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows media player\wmpnetwk.exe"
"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services" "" "" ""
+ "ati2mtag" "ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver" "ATI Technologies Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys"
+ "ATIAVPCI" "ATI Unified AVStream Driver" "ATI Technologies Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\atinavxx.sys"
+ "BHDrvx86" "SONAR Engine Driver" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\norton\{0c55c096-0f1d-4f28-aaa2-85ef591126e7}\n360_5.0.0.125\definitions\bashdefs\20120215.001\bhdrvx86.sys"
+ "bvrp_pci" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\bvrp_pci.sys"
+ "CdaC15BA" "" "" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdac15ba.sys"
+ "Changer" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Changer.sys"
+ "COMMONFX.DLL" "Creative Common FX Plug-in" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\commonfx.dll"
+ "CT20XUT.DLL" "" "" "File not found: system32\CT20XUT.DLL"
+ "ctac32k" "Creative AC3 SW Decoder Device Driver (WDM)" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ctac32k.sys"
+ "ctaud2k" "Creative WDM Audio Device Driver" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ctaud2k.sys"
+ "CTAUDFX.DLL" "Creative SB FX Plug-in" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\ctaudfx.dll"
+ "ctdvda2k" "Creative DVD-Audio Device Driver (WDM)" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ctdvda2k.sys"
+ "CTEAPSFX.DLL" "" "" "File not found: system32\CTEAPSFX.DLL"
+ "CTEDSPFX.DLL" "" "" "File not found: system32\CTEDSPFX.DLL"
+ "CTEDSPIO.DLL" "" "" "File not found: system32\CTEDSPIO.DLL"
+ "CTEDSPSY.DLL" "" "" "File not found: system32\CTEDSPSY.DLL"
+ "CTERFXFX.DLL" "" "" "File not found: system32\CTERFXFX.DLL"
+ "CTEXFIFX.DLL" "" "" "File not found: system32\CTEXFIFX.DLL"
+ "CTHWIUT.DLL" "" "" "File not found: system32\CTHWIUT.DLL"
+ "ctprxy2k" "Creative Proxy Device Driver (WDM)" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ctprxy2k.sys"
+ "CTSBLFX.DLL" "Creative SB FX Plug-in" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\ctsblfx.dll"
+ "ctsfm2k" "SoundFont® Manager (WDM)" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ctsfm2k.sys"
+ "DLABOIOM" "Drive Letter Access Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\dla\dlaboiom.sys"
+ "DLACDBHM" "Shared Driver Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\dlacdbhm.sys"
+ "DLADResN" "Drive Letter Access Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\dla\dladresn.sys"
+ "DLAIFS_M" "Drive Letter Access Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\dla\dlaifs_m.sys"
+ "DLAOPIOM" "Drive Letter Access Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\dla\dlaopiom.sys"
+ "DLAPoolM" "Drive Letter Access Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\dla\dlapoolm.sys"
+ "DLARTL_N" "Shared Driver Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\dlartl_n.sys"
+ "DLAUDF_M" "Drive Letter Access Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\dla\dlaudf_m.sys"
+ "DLAUDFAM" "Drive Letter Access Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\dla\dlaudfam.sys"
+ "DRVMCDB" "Device Driver" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\drvmcdb.sys"
+ "DRVNDDM" "Device Driver Manager" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\drvnddm.sys"
+ "DSproct" "Process Trigger Driver" "Gteko Ltd." "c:\program files\dellsupport\gtaction\triggers\dsproct.sys"
+ "dsunidrv" "GUniDriver" "Gteko Ltd." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\dsunidrv.sys"
+ "E100B" "Intel® PRO/100 Adapter NDIS 5.1 driver" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\e100b325.sys"
+ "eeCtrl" "Symantec Eraser Control Driver" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\eengine\eectrl.sys"
+ "emupia" "E-mu Plug-in Architecture Driver (WDM)" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\emupia2k.sys"
+ "EraserUtilRebootDrv" "Symantec Eraser Utility Driver" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\eengine\eraserutilrebootdrv.sys"
+ "FETNDISB" "NDIS 5.0 miniport driver" "D-Link " "c:\windows\system32\drivers\dlkfet5b.sys"
+ "GEARAspiWDM" "CD DVD Filter" "GEAR Software Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\gearaspiwdm.sys"
+ "ha10kx2k" "Creative EMU10KX HAL (WDM)" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ha10kx2k.sys"
+ "hap16v2k" "Creative EMU10KX-P16v HAL (WDM)" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\hap16v2k.sys"
+ "hap17v2k" "" "" "File not found: system32\drivers\hap17v2k.sys"
+ "IDSxpx86" "Symantec Intrusion Prevention Driver" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\norton\{0c55c096-0f1d-4f28-aaa2-85ef591126e7}\n360_5.0.0.125\definitions\ipsdefs\20120224.002\idsxpx86.sys"
+ "lbrtfdc" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.sys"
+ "NAVENG" "AV Engine" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\norton\{0c55c096-0f1d-4f28-aaa2-85ef591126e7}\n360_5.0.0.125\definitions\virusdefs\20120224.034\naveng.sys"
+ "NAVEX15" "AV Engine" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\norton\{0c55c096-0f1d-4f28-aaa2-85ef591126e7}\n360_5.0.0.125\definitions\virusdefs\20120224.034\navex15.sys"
+ "nv" "NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Miniport Driver, Version 56.73 " "NVIDIA Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys"
+ "ossrv" "Creative OS Services Driver (WDM)" "Creative Technology Ltd." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ctoss2k.sys"
+ "PCIDump" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.sys"
+ "PDCOMP" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDCOMP.sys"
+ "PDFRAME" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDFRAME.sys"
+ "PDRELI" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDRELI.sys"
+ "PDRFRAME" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDRFRAME.sys"
+ "Ptilink" "Direct Parallel Link Driver" "Parallel Technologies, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ptilink.sys"
+ "PxHelp20" "Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\pxhelp20.sys"
+ "Secdrv" "SafeDisc driver" "Macrovision Corporation, Macrovision Europe Limited, and Macrovision Japan and Asia K.K." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\secdrv.sys"
+ "SONYPVU1" "Sony USB Lower Filter driver" "Sony Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\sonypvu1.sys"
+ "SRTSP" "Symantec AutoProtect" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\n360\0502000.00d\srtsp.sys"
+ "SRTSPX" "Symantec AutoProtect" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\n360\0502000.00d\srtspx.sys"
+ "SymDS" "Symantec Data Store" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\n360\0502000.00d\symds.sys"
+ "SymEFA" "Symantec Extended File Attributes" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\n360\0502000.00d\symefa.sys"
+ "SymEvent" "Symantec Event Library" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\symevent.sys"
+ "SymIRON" "Iron Driver" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\n360\0502000.00d\ironx86.sys"
+ "SYMTDI" "Network Dispatch Driver" "Symantec Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\n360\0502000.00d\symtdi.sys"
+ "USBAAPL" "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" "Apple, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbaapl.sys"
+ "wanatw" "" "" "File not found: system32\DRIVERS\wanatw4.sys"
+ "WDICA" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\WDICA.sys"
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32" "" "" ""
+ "msacm.iac2" "Indeoģ audio software" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\iac25_32.ax"
+ "msacm.l3acm" "MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM" "Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS" "c:\windows\system32\l3codeca.acm"
+ "msacm.sl_anet" "Audio codec for MS ACM" "Sipro Lab Telecom Inc." "c:\windows\system32\sl_anet.acm"
+ "msacm.trspch" "DSP Group TrueSpeech™ Audio Codec for MSACM V3.50" "DSP GROUP, INC." "c:\windows\system32\tssoft32.acm"
+ "vidc.cvid" "Cinepakģ Codec" "Radius Inc." "c:\windows\system32\iccvid.dll"
+ "vidc.iv31" "" "" "c:\windows\system32\ir32_32.dll"
+ "vidc.iv32" "" "" "c:\windows\system32\ir32_32.dll"
+ "vidc.iv41" "Intel Indeoģ Video 4.5" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir41_32.ax"
+ "vidc.iv50" "Intel Indeoģ video 5.10" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir50_32.dll"
+ "vidc.tscc" "TechSmith Screen Capture Codec" "TechSmith Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\tsccvid.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Filter" "" "" ""
+ "Indeoģ video 4.4 Compression Filter" "Intel Indeoģ Video 4.5" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir41_32.ax"
+ "Indeoģ video 4.4 Decompression Filter" "Intel Indeoģ Video 4.5" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir41_32.ax"
+ "Musicmatch Radio Source" "Musicmatch Radio Filter" "Musicmatch, Inc." "c:\program files\musicmatch\musicmatch music services\mmradiodsfilter.ax"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{083863F1-70DE-11d0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\Instance" "" "" ""
+ "9x8Resize" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "ACELP.net Audio Decoder" "ACELP.net Audio Decoder" "Sipro Lab Telecom Inc." "c:\windows\system32\acelpdec.ax"
+ "Allocator Fix" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "Bitmap" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "BPM Metadata" "Creative BPM Metadata Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd." "c:\program files\creative\shared files\metabpm.ax"
+ "Canon DES Resizer SaveMode" "CanonDESResizer" "Canon Inc." "c:\program files\canon\mdl30\canondesresizer.ax"
+ "Canon Image Rotation Filter" "Canon Image Rotation Filter " "Canon Inc." "c:\program files\canon\mdp\canonrotatefilter.dll"
+ "Canon MDP Motion-JPEG Decoder" "Canon MDP Motion-JPEG Decoder Filter" "Canon Inc." "c:\program files\canon\mdp\canonmdpmjpegdecoder.ax"
+ "Canon Motion-JPEG Decoder" "Canon Motion-JPEG Decoder Filter" "Canon Inc." "c:\program files\canon\mdl30\canonmjpegdecoder.ax"
+ "Canon Motion-JPEG Encoder" "Motion-JPEG Encoder Filter" "Canon Inc." "c:\program files\canon\mdl30\canonmjpegencoder.ax"
+ "Canon Resizer" "CanonResizer" "Canon Inc." "c:\program files\canon\mdl30\canonresizer.ax"
+ "Canon Text Source Filter" "Canon Text Source Filter" "Canon Inc." "c:\program files\canon\mdl30\canontextsourcefilter.ax"
+ "Canon WAV Dest" "CanonWavDest" "Canon Inc." "c:\program files\canon\mdl30\canonwavdest.ax"
+ "Canon-Actual-Data-Length-Setter" "CanonActualDataLengthSetter" "Canon Inc." "c:\program files\canon\mdl30\canonactualdatalengthsetter.ax"
+ "Creative AC3 Source Filter" "Creative AC3 Source Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\ac3src.ax"
+ "Creative CDDA Source Filter" "CDDA Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\cdda.ax"
+ "Creative LiveRecording Filter" "Live Recording Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\liverec.ax"
+ "Creative MLP Source Filter" "Creative MLP Source Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\mlpsrc.ax"
+ "Creative MP3 Source Filter" "Creative MP3 Source Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\mp3src.ax"
+ "Creative MP3 Writer" "MP3 Writer" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\mp3write.ax"
+ "Creative NVF Filter" "Creative Nomad Voice File Source Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\nvfsrc.ax"
+ "Creative Still Picture MPEG1 Splitter" "Creative VCD2.0 Still Picture Splitter" "Creative Technology Ltd." "c:\program files\creative\shared files\ctspf.ax"
+ "Creative Wave Writer" "Wave Writer" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\wavwrite.ax"
+ "Creative WMA Source Filter" "Creative WMA Source Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\wmasrc.ax"
+ "Creative WMA Writer" "WMA Writer" "Creative Technology Ltd" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\wmawrite.ax"
+ "CT CMSS3 filter" "Sample" "MyCompanyName" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\cmss3.ax"
+ "CT Karaoke filter" "Sample" "MyCompanyName" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\karaoke.ax"
+ "CT PDP filter" "Sample" "MyCompanyName" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\pdp.ax"
+ "CT SmartVolumeManagement filter" "Sample" "MyCompanyName" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\dscompr.ax"
+ "CT Time-Scaling filter" "Sample" "MyCompanyName" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\timescal.ax"
+ "CT Upsampler filter" "Sample" "MyCompanyName" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\upsample.ax"
+ "Frame Eater" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "Indeoģ audio software" "Indeoģ audio software" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\iac25_32.ax"
+ "Indeoģ video 5.10 Compression Filter" "Intel Indeoģ video 5.10" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir50_32.dll"
+ "Indeoģ video 5.10 Decompression Filter" "Intel Indeoģ video 5.10" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\ir50_32.dll"
+ "MP3 Source Filter" "Creative MP3 Source Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd." "c:\program files\creative\sharedll\audplug\ctmp3sft.dll"
+ "MPEG Layer-3 Decoder" "MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder" "Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS" "c:\windows\system32\l3codecx.ax"
+ "Musicmatch Radio Source" "Musicmatch Radio Filter" "Musicmatch, Inc." "c:\program files\musicmatch\musicmatch music services\mmradiodsfilter.ax"
+ "Noise Reduction" "Sample" "MyCompanyName" "c:\program files\creative\shared files\noisredu.ax"
+ "NVF Filter" "Nomad Voice File Source Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd." "c:\program files\creative\sharedll\audplug\ctnvfflt.dll"
+ "PCM to EXT" "Creative Pcm2Ext" "Creative Technology Ltd." "c:\program files\creative\sbaudigy2zs\wavestudio\pcm2ext.ax"
+ "Photo Story 2 Trial Source Filter" "Plus! Photo Story 2 LE" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft plus! photo story 2 le\pssf2try.dll"
+ "psWav Dest" "Canon Utilities Support Library" "Canon Inc." "c:\program files\canon\camerawindow\mycamera\pswavdes.ax"
+ "RealPlayer Audio Filter" "Audio Filter Plugin" "RealNetworks, Inc." "c:\program files\real\realplayer\rdsf3260.dll"
+ "RealPlayer Transcode Filter" "Audio Filter Plugin" "RealNetworks, Inc." "c:\program files\real\realplayer\rdsf3260.dll"
+ "RealPlayer Video Filter" "Audio Filter Plugin" "RealNetworks, Inc." "c:\program files\real\realplayer\rdsf3260.dll"
+ "Record Queue" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "Render Dib" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\ArcSoft\PhotoImpression 4\ezrgb24.ax"
+ "ShotDetect" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "Sonic DS CinemasterAdvAudio 2.6" "DS MCE/Cinemast AudioDecoder - Advanced" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\program files\common files\sonic shared\cinemaudiodvdadv.dll"
+ "SONIC MCE SurroundAudioDecoder 2.6" "DS MCE/Cinemast AudioDecoder - Advanced" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\program files\common files\sonic shared\cinemaudiodvdadv.dll"
+ "Stetch" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "SVM Metadata" "Creative SVM Metadata Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd." "c:\program files\creative\shared files\metasvm.ax"
+ "Tivo DirectShow Source Filter" "TiVo DirectShow Filter" "TiVo Inc." "c:\program files\common files\tivo shared\directshow\tivodirectshowfilter.dll"
+ "WAV Dest Trial" "Plus! Photo Story 2 LE" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\microsoft plus! photo story 2 le\wavd2try.dll"
+ "WIA Stream Snapshot Filter" "WIA Stream Snapshot Filter" "MyCompanyName" "c:\windows\system32\wiasf.ax"
+ "WM VIH2 Fix" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMS Filter" "Creative Windows Media Source Filter" "Creative Technology Ltd." "c:\program files\creative\sharedll\audplug\ctwmsflt.dll"
+ "WMT Audio Analyzer" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Black Frame Generator" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT DirectX Transform Wrapper" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT DV Extract Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT FormatConversion" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Import Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Interlacer" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Log Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT MuxDeMux Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Sample Info Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Screen capture Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Switch Filter" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Virtual Renderer" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Virtual Source" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
+ "WMT Volume" "Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Appinit_Dlls" "" "" ""
+ "C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL qfvvsg.dll yevpyd.dll" "" "" "c:\program files\google\google desktop search\googledesktopnetwork3.dll"
"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries" "" "" ""
+ "mdnsNSP" "Bonjour Namespace Provider" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll"
"HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors" "" "" ""
+ "Oki OPLMNB01 Language Monitor" "Oki Page Printer Driver Language Monitor DLL for Windows 2000®" "Oki Data Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\oplmnb01.dll"
+ "Oki Standard Parallel Monitor" "Oki Standard Parallel Monitor DLL for Windows®" "Oki Data Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\opstdmon.dll"

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Please Remove Norton as instructed to do so.

#15 bikerbill

bikerbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

OK, so I bought two used 512 MB memory sticks on eBay and installed them. That took my system DRAM from 1 to 2 GB. I'd say my system response time improved somewhat but it's not what I'd call huge, and I'm looking for huge. The most noticeable improvements are that I no longer get those annoying high memory usage pop-ups and I can have a lot of windows open at the same time. For $5.51 I'm happy with that.

I unchecked a pile of items in my startup list. That has made a noticeable improvement. I've been working my way through the list (27) since I don't know what a lot of those things do. I found that there are tons of websites that explain processes. I mostly used www.processlibrary.com. But I get conflicting information on certain processes. Sometimes one can be labelled as safe and other times as a worm, trojan or virus. It seems it depends on the directory and path involved. Do I need to crawl through all my processes one-by-one checking for this or can I rely on Malwarebytes to determine if any of these are harmful? I've recently run Malwarebytes with an updated antivirus file and it says my system is clean.

Can stuff get added to my startup tray without me initiating it? I can see how most of it got there, but there are some entries that puzzle me.

I realize now my startup tray is kind of like my basement, only worse. When stuff piles up in mybasement at least I see it happening. Startup tray is more like a basement with no lights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users