Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't send offline messages with Windows Live Messenger v8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offlinee

Offlinee

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hello everyone. Your first emotion could be: "Whoa, there's a guy who still uses WLM v8.1. That is so old!"
I must say that I really like this version, because it is very basic and I have used it for a quite a while and I have got very used with it. I don't need all this bling-bling.
I used a program called Resource Hacker and changed the version number to the newest (15.4), so the program thinks that I'm using the newest version, while I'm not. And everything worked perfectly, until...
So.. about my problem then. Everything has been fine for a quite some time (a few years or so), but now I've got a problem. I can't send offline messages any more, it says: "The following message could not be delivered to all recipients". I can receive offline messages, but I can't send them. I've googled for quite some time but haven't found the solution that works for me. I guess it is because I have an old version, because my bro has the newest version, and he can send offline messages perfectly fine. So my question is: isn't there any other solution than just installing the newest version? Maybe there's someone who has had this kind of problem too.

I've tried reinstalling, I've cleaned registry, but no results.

I also asked about it on your IRC channel, and a guy called Lurch said:
"[16:48] <@Lurch> Offlinee msn has done that because the older versions had an exploit where spam could sent out so you'll need to update or just send an email instead of an offline msg"
Then I asked:
"[16:54] <Offlinee> So, Lurch, I guess I should stop searching for solutions, because it's pointless and there are none. The only way to send offline messages is updating to the newest version or sending an e-mail?"
And Lurch replyed:
"[16:55] <@Lurch> yes Offlinee"

I'm wondering why Microsoft should care about old versions? Why would they block sending offline messaging on older versions? Why I haven't had problems until now? Microsoft don't officialy support or give help to older versions anymore I guess?
So my question is: Should I dig from Google for more solutions or is it just a waste of time?

P.S.! If this topic is posted in the wrong section, please move it!

Thank you for replying and sorry for my English, it's not my primary language :)

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

What OS are you running?

#3 Offlinee

Offlinee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Sorry, forgot to add it. I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Unfortunately you can't run the latest w l m due to it only being on vista or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users