Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe taking over cpu and processor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 karinek

karinek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

I am running windows xp sp3. I have all the new windows updates. My problem is that my srvhost.exe memory usage can get over 800000k and the CPU usage often goes up to 100%. This svchost.exe is running netsvcs. I disabled automatic windows updates and also disabled almost everything at startup. Startup only starts phztsbo4 which is associated to my hp printer, googlequicksearch which seems to be fine and Belkins 802 which in my network connection. I ran antimalware and loaded Norton. Both ran with no errors. I've spent a couple days trying to figure out what is wrong and still can't fix it. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1940LaSalle

1940LaSalle

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

I also would be very much interested in the solution to this: I see instances from time to time when svchost shows up multiple (maybe five; sometimes as many as seven) times in the task manager.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

svchost.exe ,explained ,having as many as 5 or 10 is normal ,having one use a whole lot of you ram/resources is not normal
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Reference you may want to review:

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html

There is no set number of processes which may run on a system that reflect svchost.exe...depends on what is installed on each system, what programs have update checks, etc, IMO.

Louis

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

edit

delete links for program to view svchost

Mod Edit: No reason to do so, it's a goo reference...I was going to post same link but I saw that you already had done so ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2012 - 07:58 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 karinek

karinek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

This drove me crazy. The memory usage went up to 1 million k. Norton finally picked up a virus on the svchost but didn't clean it up so I called them and complained that if they detected something they should fix it. So they told me to run www.norton.com/npe and it actually cleaned up the virus. Thank G-d. I wasted a whole week trying to figure it out.

#7 ITDanita

ITDanita

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

SVCHOST.EXE explained

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/svchost.exe.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users