Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC crashes randomly with a weird noise

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Demonicsoul

Demonicsoul

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

Greeting all, my name is Tassos

Suddently my PC started to crash today doing a weird nose and i can only restart it from the tower. Also after that my windows take a long time to start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I have windows 7 ultimate edition, 4 GB memory, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 processor, Nvidia Graphics card 250 GTS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

When you get into Windows, immediately copy your important files to an external hard drive or flash drive. Burn them to a CD if that's what you have.

If you have another internal drive, copy the files there.

Hopefully you're hearing a fan instead of a hard drive.

Can you describe the noise? Is it a grinding noise, squealing, clicking, etc?

Also, are you able to remove the side panel of the PC and see where the noise is coming from?

Edited by LucheLibre, 23 February 2012 - 06:51 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 Demonicsoul

Demonicsoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hey thanks for your reply. I have more info to this matter

The sound i hear is from my headshet not from the tower of the pc. Like grinding i think. Also i noticed that at the bottom right of my screen where sound volume is, there appeared an "X" next to it (my sound worked normally though). Today i had a crash again and then start up repaired windows and did a system restore. This "X" disappeared now. Also at event viewer-system i found this error "atapi - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort4"

Thanks again

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Use Speccy to provide details of your computer's configuration.

• Download, install, and run.
  • After Speccy has finished gathering information, click File > Publish Snapshot.
  • Click Yes. A web address will be displayed.
  • Click Copy to Clipboard and paste it in your next post.
  • Include your computer's manufacturer and model number, if available.
=========================================

What are you doing when the computer crashes? Does the grinding sound start spontaneously from no sound at all? Or is it the case where a normal sound (like music or games sounds) becomes corrupted and drawn out?

How does the system run in Safe Mode? Press F8 repeatedly just as the BIOS screen goes away and before Windows starts to bring up an Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking. Use the computer for a bit and see what you get.

Edited by LucheLibre, 24 February 2012 - 03:50 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 Demonicsoul

Demonicsoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hi again. So far no crashes except the one earlier. Speccy url is this http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xZhYmGCSK1wQiNfSqtjpzo7
The sound starts suddently out of the blue. Untill then sound works ok. It happens randomly either i am in a game or at desktop browsing. Happened 3 times so far (2 yesterday 1 today). Havent checked with safe mode since so far hasnt happened again

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Voltage
CPU CORE: 1.160 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 1.728 V
+3.3V: 3.248 V
+5V: 4.872 V
+12V: 8.531 V <<<< Suspicious
VIN5: 1.704 V
VIN6: 1.232 V

Please verify these numbers by checking the hardware monitoring page in the BIOS. The numbers will update in real-time. Let us know if the +12V number is close to 12 and if it changes by more than 1 volt at any time.

Please also uninstall your current audio drivers and install the latest one from the manufacturer's website (if you haven't already).

~ LL ~

#7 Demonicsoul

Demonicsoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Greetings

the numbers i saw at BIOS are the following:

+3.3V : 3.240V
+5V : 5.112V
+12V : 12.040V

I also removed previous drivers for graphics card and sound and installed the latest ones

#8 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

Given that Windows is taking a long time to boot and the event error, I suggest doing a diagnostic of your Hard Drive.

Use Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test (DFT) to perform diagnostics on your hard drive.

• You will need:
    • A new blank CD (CD-R) or a re-writable CD (CD-RW).
  • If you haven't already, include your computer's manufacturer and model number in your next reply.
  • Using a working computer, download DFT.
  • Burn the .ISO image file to a CD.
    Follow these instructions if you are not familiar with burning an .ISO image file to disc.
  • Boot the affected computer from the CD.
    You may need to configure the BIOS or use the Boot Menu to boot first from the CD.
  • Select ATA Support Only.
    After accepting the license agreement, a drive list will appear.
  • If your drive appears in the list, press Enter.
  • Run the Quick Test. If it passes, run the Advanced Test.
    Be patient as the Advanced Test can take over an hour.
    • If DFT offers you the option to attempt repairs, do not accept it. DFT attempts repairs by erasing the entire disk and may not be necessary at this point.
  • Report the results of the tests (PASS or FAIL), including any error codes, in your next reply.

=====================================================

Edited by LucheLibre, 25 February 2012 - 06:40 PM.

~ LL ~

#9 Demonicsoul

Demonicsoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hey and sorry for the delay. Seems that the problem is gone now pc runs smoothly boot is fast and no errors. Thanks alot for your assistance i really appreciate it:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users