Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclock Sony Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kingdan

kingdan

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

hey,
im new to this overclocking thing. I was wondering if u can overclock a Sony Vaio VGN-FS742/W.
im running on Centrino 1.73, 512 megs of RAM and 80 gigs of harddrive. another question, even though i have 512 of RAM how come in the Systems tab it says i have 504 of RAM?
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

Most BIOSes on laptops are locked so you can't overclock them without mods. And even those you where you can are limited due to heat and power issues.

overclocking + sony vaio = smoke comming from under your bed (where your laptop is laying about)

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:09 PM

Problem with laptops is that:
1) You can't get enough power to overclock and;
2) The reason why we can overclock a processor is because even though a processor is labeled as a ex. 2GHz it is in reality like a 2.6 but the problem is when a processor get's up to there full speed they create alot of heat and need speacial heat sinks and fans. So to be able to make smaller, quieter and cheaper fans compagnies purposely "lock" the processor at one point. The problem I am getting to is that we can't install that special fan in a laptop. The system I will be installing soon has a radiator about 8 inches in diameter by about 2 and a half feet. Don't know if you want to carry that around with your laptop...

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

hey,
im new to this overclocking thing. I was wondering if u can overclock a Sony Vaio VGN-FS742/W.
im running on Centrino 1.73, 512 megs of RAM and 80 gigs of harddrive. another question, even though i have 512 of RAM how come in the Systems tab it says i have 504 of RAM?
thanks

You have 8 mb of RAM dedicated to your onboard video adapter. You may be able to increase you video quality in the BIOS by allocating more memory to the onboard video adapter. It may let you go up to 32mb. But like the others have suggested you may run into a heat problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users