Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"HotFixInstaller": MS Updates Won't Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Columbia University

Columbia University

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:06 AM

Hello.

When I tried to download and install the latest Microsoft updates I receive a message stating, "HotFixInstaller," and I can't install the updates.

If anyone can suggest a fix I'd very much appreciate it.

Thank you again

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2012 - 08:22 AM.
Edited size/font.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hi -
Can you please list the KB numbers of the updates if you know them.

Look at your Update page and try to find the ones that did not install, then list the last 3 or 4 items -

Thanks -

#3 Columbia University

Columbia University
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

Thanks very much for your reply, noknojon.

I should state that I know very little about personal computers.

The KB numbers of the updates are:

• KB2633880 and,
  • KB890830

But after the message stating the updates were not installed, under "Review Your Installation Results," the "Installation Summary" indicates that both updates were successful.

Yet every time I turn on this PC the same MS icon displays that the two same updates are to be downloaded and installed.

Somewhere along the way, I saw the error, "0x800A0046" which, not surprisingly, states "You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site." MS states the "error code may occur if one of the following conditions is true:

--The user logon account belongs to the Guests or Limited account groups.
--The security descriptor does not let authenticated users run Windows Update or Microsoft Update.
--The Impersonate a client after authentication policy is missing the Administrator and Service account from the list of Users and Groups."

MS then goes on to suggest four different methods to correct the error, none of which I've tried yet because, as I say, I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users