Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Telephone Over Rj45

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robin

robin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:10 PM

Hi,
I would like to know if it is possible to use my computer network (rj45 cable) to connect the phones in my house so that i dont have to run a new telephone cable where i already have a network cable.
Any help appreciated
Thanks
Robin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:05 PM

No I don't believe that's possible except if you're talking about VOIP phones.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

It depends, the RJ45 cable is phone cable and it will work but the thing is you can't use the same wire for your computer and phone... unless you still have dial-up. You will have to get your phone compagny to hook up the rj45 cables in the walls to your phone patch panel.

VoIP phones use CAT5 cables welco (wich are the new high speed network cables comenly used now)

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:47 PM

The simple answer is yes you can use Cat 3, Cat 5, Cat 5e, and Cat 6 cable to run POTS lines. It is common to run Cat 5 cable in new apartment complexes. Your POTS line only uses 1-pair of wires per line. What you have to be careful of is not to run the ethernet and POTS over the same cable. Pick the same color pair to run all of you POTS outlets. If you are also running ethernet signal in the same building I strongly recommend you mark the cable clearly, so someone in the furture can tell POTS from Ethernet.
I don't care for wireless networking. Just me and my opinion. This would be the one exception to that. Run your POTS over the Cat 5 and go 100% wireless for your LAN/WAN.
I use the multi-cable when I re-wired my home. It has 1-POTS 2-Ethernet 1-CATV all in a single jack. About as big as 6-3 wire. I ran it thru out my home.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users