Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 stuck in startup repair

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 flooringpro

flooringpro

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hi everyone,
I have a question that i hope someone can help me with. I am having a problem with windows 7, when i start the computer it says loading files and then goes directly to startup repair. I cant even get into the computer in safe mode or anything else by pressing f8 when istartup. It just keeps on this startup repair loop.Its states startup repair checking for problems, it attempts repairs but then it says it cant repair this computer automatically. I have tried system restore, sytem image recovery and tried to restore the computer to its factory state. when i try that i get a error 0x4001001300001002. I didnt get any recovery disks when i bought the computer either. Can anyone help, i would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

Edited by flooringpro, 22 February 2012 - 09:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Hi

What kind of computer is it? Manufacturer and model.

Sounds like an HP. If it is, they usually have a disk checking program that you can access from the BIOS set up. That would be the first thing to try.

It usually goes something like this...

Turn on the computer and hit F10 about once a second until the Setup screen appears.
Go to the STORAGE tab or menu

There you should see an option to test the disk.

If I'm way off in my guess here, let me know :)

James

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

Taken from http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and/Error-Mean-amp-What-Should-I-Do/m-p/34417?query.id=188196#M4901

That error means that the Boot Manager is Missing. This is usualy caused by either a failed hard drive, or a failed attempt at recovery. If you try to do a recovery and then suddenly halt the process, weather on purpose or due to somthing like power failure, then the first bit of the Recovery boot process, the BTMNGR, can be hosed. If this happens then your only option is to order recovery disks from the manufacturer and install the OS that way. These disks will run you about $15-$30

You might boot into bios (F10 on startup) and do a hard drive self test first to make sure you dont have a hard drive problem...

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 flooringpro

flooringpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hi
@ James -Its a dell inspiron one, i tried tapping the f10 button after i turn the computer on(tried about 10 times), it just keeps going to a black page and it says windows is loading files, then i go to startup repair. The only thing i can get into is f2 setup and f12 boot options

@luchelibre- do you know where i would go to get those disks, do i just call dell or is there a place on their website where i can get them.

I think i may have had a virus on my computer because it was acting very strange about two weeks before this happened. It was shutting down without touching anything, i was getting error messages, etc.
Thanks for your help

Edited by flooringpro, 23 February 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#5 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

If you can remove the side panel of the PC and look at the hard drive label, then please post what the manufacturer and model number is.

If not, let's try this first:

Use SeaTools for DOS to perform diagnostics on your hard drive.

• You will need:
    • A new blank CD (CD-R) or a re-writable CD (CD-RW).
  • If you haven't already, include your computer's manufacturer and model number in your next reply.
  • Using a working computer, download SeaTools for DOS.
  • Burn the .ISO image file to a CD.
    Follow these instructions if you are not familiar with burning an .ISO image file to disc.
  • Boot the affected computer from the CD.
    You may need to configure the BIOS or use the Boot Menu to boot first from the CD.
  • From the Basic menu, run the Short Test. If it passes, run the Long Test.
    Be patient as the Long Test can take over an hour.
    • If SeaTools offers you the option to attempt repairs and your backups are current, accept it. If SeaTools cannot repair the damage, it will show an error code.
  • Report the results of the tests (PASS or FAIL), including any error codes, in your next reply.

=====================================================

Edited by LucheLibre, 24 February 2012 - 05:39 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#6 flooringpro

flooringpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

Hi Luche Libre
Thanks for taking the time to help me, i really appreciate it. Heres what i have done, i downloaded seatools for dos and booted it to my computer. The short test failed and the long test also failed. Here is what it said "Unfortunately, your seagate hard drive has failed a important diagnostic test,possilby caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read." Here is some other information that im not sure what it is or if its relavant
Drive list model id- wdc wd6400aaks
serial number wd-wca sy9320
Revision 9.03bo
test progress 99% Lba 1250154914 1 error

As for the manufacturer and model, im not able to open the computer up but the sticker on the bottom says dell model W01b inspiron one 19( let me know if you need something else). One more thing else i should mention , before all this happened i was having problems with my macafee antivirus. For some reason my firewall and antivirus kept being turned off. I would turn them to On and a second later they would automatically turn off and it kept repeating itself. I thought i was infected with a virus so i tried to do a sytem restore, that didnt work so i tried to restore my computer to its original factory state and got that error message, when i restarted my computer i was directed to the start up repair page.

Edited by flooringpro, 25 February 2012 - 01:47 AM.

#7 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Very good seeing the Model ID. You have a Western Digital HDD.

We should verify SeaTools result with Western Digital's utility.

Use Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (DLD) to perform diagnostics on your hard drive.

• You will need:
    • A new blank CD (CD-R) or a re-writable CD (CD-RW).
  • If you haven't already, include your computer's manufacturer and model number in your next reply.
  • Using a working computer, navigate to this page and download Diag504fCD.iso.
  • Burn the .ISO image file to a CD.
    Follow these instructions if you are not familiar with burning an .ISO image file to disc.
  • Boot the affected computer from the CD.
    You may need to configure the BIOS or use the Boot Menu to boot first from the CD.
  • Choose Select Drive and select the hard drive to test.
  • Run the Quick Test. If it passes, run the Extended Test.
    Be patient as the Extended Test can take over an hour.
    • If DLD offers you the option to attempt repairs and your backups are current, accept it. If DLD cannot repair the damage, it will show an error code.
  • Report the results of the tests (PASS or FAIL), including any error codes, in your next reply.

=====================================================

Edited by LucheLibre, 25 February 2012 - 05:40 PM.

~ LL ~

#8 flooringpro

flooringpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

hi luche libre
i downloaded diag504cd.iso and burnt it to a cd. When i tried to boot the computer from the cd i keep getting this message that says "unable to locate the license aggreement file,DLGLICE.TXT!!! Please make sure that the licence aggreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG.EXE" I tried it twice and even tried burning that file to another cd.Not sure what to do now

#9 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

I don't know what options the BIOS of your PC has, but try to change the AHCI mode from SATA to IDE and retest.

This is also sometimes called 'SATA operation mode' or 'hard drive operation mode.'

If this doesn't work, reset the AHCI setting to its original setting before we go on.

Edited by LucheLibre, 25 February 2012 - 07:56 PM.

~ LL ~

#10 flooringpro

flooringpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:23 AM

im stumped now because i dont have the option to change sata to ide and dont have the option to reset the ahci setting. I went to the dell website and ordered recovery disks, they are sending me them at no charge.

#11 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

It's no problem. We can use a different method.

Navigate to http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html and download the UBCD .iso

Burn it to a CD and boot the affected PC from it.

Select HDD > Diagnosis > DLG Diagnostic V5.19 and run the tests.

~ LL ~

#12 flooringpro

flooringpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Got the windows 7 cds today and reinstalled it, computer is working fine now. Im actually glad it happened because my computer is so much faster now.Thanks for your time,Luche libre

Edited by flooringpro, 29 February 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#13 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

I'm glad to hear you're back running.

I still strongly suggest testing the hard drive, though.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users