Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Loses Ability to Connect To Sites, Ping Still Succeeds?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzz1303

Fuzz1303

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hi everyone,
I have a Dell XPS running Win7 x64 pro. My wireless card is a Intel WIFI Link 1000 BGN (This is at least what shows in my device manager).
The problem: I will browse online for a period of time (typically 30 - 60 minutes) and my browser will stop loading webpages. I have switched between IE, IE 64bit, Firefox, and Chrome and it is not browser dependent as far as I can tell. When I get to the point that I am no longer able to browse online, I will try PINGing google.com which completes everytime with 0% loss. The issue seems to persist for a length of time, and typically does resolve itself after an hour or so. Alternatively, if I restart my computer the problem is resolved immediately. I am using Windows Security Essentials and Windows firewall, so no 3rd party Firewall or AV. I have seen other threads similar to this, but never found a resolution to the issue. I have tried doing IPCONFIG /Release /Renew and that doesn't fix things. Does anyone have any ideas as to what my next troubleshooting step might be with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Test the computer on wired connection if the problem persist. Check the router channel default and try changing it to another number - 6,9 or 11. Look into reinstalling your wireless card driver with the same or updated one if available. Make sure you are not connecting simultaneously with other nearby open wifi networks. Seen this often to others when this happens.

Tekken

#3 Fuzz1303

Fuzz1303
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

I'll look into this. I notice it occurs mainly at school where the network is set up to let you transition between routers without it showing as a dozen different spots so it would make a level of sense. I'll reinstall the wireless card anyways.

#4 tehcwhiz

tehcwhiz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

sounds like a dns issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users