Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interview question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

I had a company call me when the found my resume on a job site a few weeks ago. They called me in for an interview with the IT Director which was short but went well. However, on my resume, I put down on my resume that I was still working at my ex-place of employment but haven't worked there in 2 yrs.

Last week, the guy who I interviewed with left a message on my machine asking if i could come in for another interview. I called him back today to set a time up and asked him who I would be interviewing with this time and he said him and maybe HR.

The question I have for you is why would he have me interview with hjim again and then with HR? If they found out I fibber about the last 2 yrs about not working there would they bother having me come back for a 2nd interview? Wouldn't they say no sense in having him back here.

Or could they have me back to offer me the job and talk about salary with HR?

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Many companies go through several rounds of interviews. The first short interview might have been done to reduce the number of potential candidates to a "short-list" who are then called in for a more in-depth interview.

I would tell them about the "error" on your CV.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 black_icon

black_icon

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

@Budapest,

I agree with you. Many companies have their own ways and sets of Interview. You can't choose an interviewer, so, meeting or facing the same person for an interview is really possible. With your case, it's possible that he'll be doing the initial and the second interview and once you're qualified, HR will do the final one. It's possible as wel that, he'll offer the job for you and discuss the salary with the HR. :thumbsup:

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is FOOL but he who knows not and knows that he knows not is WISE

#4 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

Come on guys, looking for more opinions plz?

thx

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Ive had jobs with 3 seperate interviews, its not uncommon especially among bigger companies. I would go to the HR interview, and tell them about your mistake, it will look better for you then if they found it on their own. lying on an app could cost you the job, employers want an employee who not only works hard but is honest, if they found out you lied on it they may reject it, but if you own up to it it might help your chances.

Edited by the_patriot11, 23 February 2012 - 12:10 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 black_icon

black_icon

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

@ bruinator,

you'll be able to know the result once you're already there and talked those people during the interview. What ya think?:P

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is FOOL but he who knows not and knows that he knows not is WISE

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

HR could be there to be sure that the interviewer doesn't violate any labor laws during the interview. Also can act as a witness to the proceedings in the event of any potential litigation against the company.

HR can be there to ask their round of questions if your 'callback' interview goes well. You will never be sure as this is their strength and works to their advantage during the process. Observing how well do you perform under pressure and uncomfortable settings.

I also suggest that you address the inconsistency on how long since you have been with your previous employer. Better if you clear it up than they bring it to your attention in an exit interview upon your termination, for falsification of employment records at a later date.

FWIW: our candidates go through on average 3 rounds of interviews, sometimes 4 if the position is highly technical. 4 rounds or more for senior management.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users