Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying Messages: "fixthereg.net", Etc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kmrwest

kmrwest

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:36 PM

Hi!
I recently formatted my computer due to a nasty virus, and I'm having some trouble with "messenger" pop-ups telling me that I have an unsecure system. The message, which looks like a windows error message, directs me to one of a few websites, the most common being fixthereg.net, and patchupdate.info. I haven't seen anything about it on the microsoft page, and something about it doesn't sit well with me, so I figured I should check here before I download something that will cause me grief in the future. They seem to stop for a while after I run a spyware program.
Thanks for the help (or direction to help!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:08 PM

It sounds like you are getting spam on Windows Messenger Service

The Windows "Messenger Service" is being exploited to spray the Internet with unsolicited commercial eMail. The receipt of a single UDP packet can cause a "Messenger Service" dialog to pop-up on the user's screen. It is possible for the sender to "spoof" (falsify) the packet's "Source IP", making these packets impossible to trace back to their origin................
Windows Messenger Service

The first thing to understand is that the Windows Messenger Service is completely different from, and not in any way related to, "MSN Messenger", "Windows Messenger", or any other well-known instant messaging system. Therefore, disabling the Windows Messenger service will have no effect upon your use of any other instant messaging applications. They will continue to work without trouble.

To block the spam is to turn off Messenger Service.
To do that:
--In Windows XP, click Start>>Control Panel
--In Windows 2000, click Start>>Settings>>Control Panel

In both versions:
--Double click Administrative Tools
--Double click Services
--Double click Messenger
--Under Service Status, click Stop
--In the box next to Startup Type, select Disabled
--Click Apply>>OK

Alternatively, you can download a small program that will disable Messenger Service for you Called Shoot The Messenger. It's available at: http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

It is also possible that the virus was not completely removed from the computer during the reinstall of Windows. Use the program Killdisk to wipe out all info on the hard drive first. A virus (or anything else) cannot survive Killdisk.

Another idea is that you reinfected your computer when you reinstalled your data. Perhaps your data carries the infection.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users