Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu64bit and VirtualBox

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hello all!!, I have just installed Ubnuntu 11.10 64bit version, and am wondering how difficult it is to get VirtualBox to work, and if there are any issues that need to be dealt with prior to installing it. I had loaded Ubuntu 11.10 32 the other day and installed VB, then created a VM of XP32bit. Things went well until I installed the "extension package" from Oracle thinking it would support USB ports. Then my XP32 VM would no longer work. I had wanted to give the 64bit Ubuntu a try, mostly so that I could take full advantage of the 6gb of ram, and more importantly allow my XP VM to have 3gb to work with. So being pretty new to the Ubuntu world, any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Edited by Al1000, 04 February 2017 - 05:48 PM.
Moved from Linux & Unix

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

It's been a while since I installed VirtualBox, but you ought to be able to install it just fine using the installer found here: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.8/virtualbox-4.1_4.1.8-75467~Ubuntu~oneiric_amd64.deb

XP should play nicely with VirtualBox out of the box since XP is probably the most commonly virtualized OS for VirtualBox.

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Do you know if it supports USB virtualization? I had read that it did not.
Thanks,
Scott

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:59 AM

As I recall, the Open Source Edition (VirtualBox-OSE, which is available in the Ubuntu repos) does not support USB virtualization. However the proprietary (though still free-of-charge) standard edition of VirtualBox does support it.

#5 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

I also read somewhere that before I install the non-free version that I would need to install the 32libs( might have been libs32), to get it (non-free) version to work on a 64bit Ubuntu.
Thanks for taking the time to assist me!!!
Scott

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

The ia32-libs package is required to run a 32 bit Linux program under 64 bit Linux. However it is not required for the 64 bit version of VirtualBox, which I linked to above. You can run both 32 and 64 bit operating systems in the 64 bit version of VirtualBox without needing to install any additional software. (Note that the 32 bit edition is limited to 32 bit operating systems only.)

#7 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Okay, cool!!! I just installed from the Ubuntu Software Center, is that probably the 32bit version, or how can I check?
Thanks for all your help!!
Scott

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

If you installed from the software center then it is almost certainly the 64 bit version; the software center knows whether the system is 32 or 64 bits and installs the appropriate version. However, the version of VirtualBox in the software center is most likely the OSE edition (mentioned above) which doesn't support USB virtualization. You would need to remove the installed version of VirtualBox (easy, just use the software center) before installing another version. The version I linked to earlier is the 64 bit version that supports USB virtualization, and it comes as a .deb installer file. You ought to be able to install it simply by double-clicking the .deb file. If you're a command-line nut like me, then you can also use the command:
sudo dpkg -i /Path/To/The/installer.deb
to install it.

#9 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

Awesome I will give that a shot tonight/tomorrow and let you know how I fair out.
Thank you, Scott

#10 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Okay,...I have uninstalled the OSE version, installed the version from the link above, installed the extension package that it requested. I am getting this message (see below quoted text), and have looked at the help manual.. really did not clear things up. How do I add my user to the vboxusers group. Here is the msg:
"VirtualBox is not currently allowed to access USB devices. You can change this by adding your user to the 'vboxusers' group. Please see the user manual for a more detailed explanation."
Is this referring to Ubuntu? or VBox? Help section was very clear???

Thanks again!!!
Scott

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hi Scott

It is referring to Ubuntu. For an explanation run VirtualBox and click HELP>CONTENTS and search for
"vboxusers group"
in my version it's at 2.3.4

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 23 February 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#12 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

Joy!!! at last, I found this <https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=4932>, just this morning, and it worked.. So basically I made sure that the device was plugged in, made sure that Ubuntu sees USB attached drive, and that Ubuntu is not using it, (I had read that if Host is using it, then the Guest can not), started VM of XP, and in devices menu (of VBox) all my USB devices were there, I just checked the one I wanted to use. From there VM XP did it's thing, found new hardware etc.. I hope this helps others that have same issues.. Thanks to all who assisted with this post!! Thanks!!
Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users