Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformat a vista pc?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ricon59

ricon59

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hello,

My name is Rick, and I am new to this website so I hope that I am in the right place for assistance. I have an issue with my home pc that I can't seem to find a solution. I have searched for solutions but i have to achieve favorable results. The problem started with the infamous fake alert virus. Unfortunately, the end result is that now the only option is to reformat. My pc is a Systemax pc that I purchased from Compusa in 2009. The manufacturer of this PC is MSI or Micro-Star International and it has the following specs:

Systemax ( compusa )
Model: G31 M3-LV2
Type: Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core 2
Installed RAM: 3 GB
Disk Drives: WD 300 GB SATA
Optional Info: 1-internal optical drive-LG DVD,CD RW multi-writer 2 external drives, LG 24x dvd-r/rw, maxtor one touch 120g external hard drive

The machine was shipped with 2 discs. One is labeled: "Windows Vista, Home Basic SP1, and the side of the disc it says: "The software on this DVD-ROM was preinstalled on your hard drive at tha factory and may only be used for backup and recovery of your computer system". The second disc says: "Drivers and Utilities", and on the side it says: "Intel Chipset For Windows Vista". Now, for the problem, I have to the conclusion that the only course of action is to reformat. I went through the usual motions however, I was not able to accomplish this task. Now, I get a response where it is asking for the driver and upon inserting the disc that contains the drivers and utlities, I just don't know which file to load first. There is a good possiblity that the partion might have been accidentally erased. At this point, time is a factor as I am preparing to go back to school and continue work on my Masters Degree and I need this pc to be up and running. I also have a retail copy of windows XP professional as well. At this point, can I just install a retail copy of windows 7 and just take it from there? I has gotten to the point that I'm willing to try anyting short of buying a new pc. Can someone assist?

Thanks,

Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hi Rick

I also have a retail copy of windows XP professional

Windows Vista, Home Basic SP1

can I just install a retail copy of windows 7

You can install any of the above.

XP - probably not a good idea. Support is ceasing and once installed you would still need to find drivers.

Vista - your original OS - this disk will revert the system to factory settings. In other words - all data will be lost and your machine will be as it was when you first bought it.

Win7 - As long as this has not been installed on another machine you would be ok with this too.

I went through the usual motions however, I was not able to accomplish this task.

Did you install / re-install an Operating System in this process?

What I am asking is ....is there data on the drive that you need - or have you lost this by re-installing ( or attempting to ) an OS ?

#3 ricon59

ricon59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Ken-B,

First of all, I would like to thank you for responding. It is stands right now, I power up the machine and I will go through it's usual motions where the black screen appears and I displays the informtion, like mouse and keyboard found and also the option of hitting the delete and F11 key also appears. Unless there are any disks inserted, this process will repeat itself and I only here one beep. If I insert the Windows recovery disk, it will go through process of installing windows Vista, but the problem is, it prompts me install the driver. This is where the problem begins. I use an additional external hard drive to insert the dvd that contains the driver but I just don't know where to find the driver. The only thing that it displays now is that the driver was not found. If I hit the F11 key, a blue screen with the name of the hardrive and the optical drive appear asking which to boot from. I've never formated a vista machine before. I've done a lot XP machines in the past with relatively few problems. Question, If I go out and purchase a genuine copy of windows vista, will it format the hard drive and install windows as well? Again, I thank you for your support and any help that you can provide will greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

#4 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

If I go out and purchase a genuine copy of windows vista, will it format the hard drive and install windows as well?

Yes it will.
You have a Recovery Disk with Vista on - you could use this.

Do you have data that you need to recover from the drive as both of these options will wipe the data off.

===============
If you switch on and tap F8 about once per second - you should be taken to the Advanced Startup Options.
Is "Repair Your Computer" an option?

If it is - give this a try.

===============

I only here one beep.

This is normal. It is signalling that the system has passed the Power On Self Test ( POST ) process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users