Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NIS 2012. Time to renew. OK to go with 360

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Should Know More

Should Know More

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

I am a happy NIS 2010,2011,2012 user and I have had 360 before those which I didn't think did it's job so smoothly. I am thinking about going with the newest 360 through the renew/download from Norton. I use Malwarebytes and CCleaner manually. Should it be a smooth transition? Any issues to be concerned with? I am running Vista (don't laugh!)and all seems well with my computer at this time. Is it better to buy the actual 360 disk/3 pc's?

Thanks for the feedback

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Personally I wouldn't pay for an antivirus application when there are good free alternatives available.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Should Know More

Should Know More
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

I understand many people use the free protections. I and others have had issues with those. I am not tech savy and I need the protection that Norton offers. Any thoughts about the install of 360?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

Before you purchase Norton 360 download and install the 30 day trial. That will give you an opportunity to see if it plays nice with your system.

http://us.norton.com/downloads-trial-norton-360?inid=us_hho_downloads_topnav_n3605trial

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Hi Should Know More,

If you are changing from NIS to Norton 360, it is best to uninstall NIS first, then install 360. This will help avoid any potential problems. The links below will cover a lot of what you need to know, but if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Upgrading to Norton 360

Uninstalling your Norton or Symantec product

Norton 360 FAQ

Tip: Buying direct from an AV vendor [Norton in your case] is often quite expensive. Most times you will find a better deal if you shop around. Amazon always have some good deals for security software.
Norton 360 5.0 1-User/3PCs [Disk]
Norton 360 Version 5.0 1 User-3 PC [Download]

#6 Should Know More

Should Know More
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

I can actually get a good deal from a safe on-line company for the 360. Any concerns about uninstalling 2012 and then downloading from an on-line source while I don't have IS?

I have cut it so short that the lack of 2012 in the stores near by and/or the shipping time will force me to shutdown until I get the disk. Stop laughing! Thanks for the help. I will be reading your forums to help me understand the ways of protecting my computers and identity. So far so good over the years but it's getting tougher. Safe, proper back-ups and recovery disks that my wife and I need will be tackled next. Thanks! Good site!

#7 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

Any concerns about uninstalling 2012 and then downloading from an on-line source while I don't have IS?

If you mean any concerns about uninstalling 2012 and then downloading Norton 360 from an on-line source while you don't have IS?

No, as long as that's all you do (go straight to the site and download). Once NIS is uninstalled, Windows Firewall should automatically turn on (check that it does) to protect you while you download 360.

A better idea though, if possible download 360 first, then uninstall NIS (following the proper instructions), and then run the installer for 360.

As Queen-Evie already mentioned, give the 30 day trial a go first before purchasing, just to make sure you're happy with it.

*And with the 30 days cover provided by the trial, you'll have plenty of time to have 360 shipped, if that's how you would prefer to buy.

Edit: *Added text.

Edited by RedDawn, 23 February 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#8 Should Know More

Should Know More
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Thank You....once the snowstorm blows out of here and I can trust we won't have a power glitch or loss of internet I will give it a shot....the 30 day trial. Hopefully you won't hear from me on this particular topic again!

#9 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users